Daily Dirt - 7/30/12
Finally back after a LONG week of camp! Here are some things that I’ve heard over the past week or so…
• The search to replace Rob Purlee at Knox College (IL) is in full swing. Two names that I have heard that appear to be in the hunt are Northwest Florida assistant Jason Shay, and former Idaho State head coach Joe O’Brien. Shay is a former assistant at Tennessee and a native of Galesburg, IL (where Knox is located). O’Brien spent 7 seasons as the head coach at Idaho State before stepping down this past December.
• Scott Polsgrove has resigned as the head coach at Lees-McRae College (NC) and will accept a job at Avery HS (NC). Polsgrove was 32-133 in his 6 seasons at LMC. He also spent 14 seasons as the head coach at King College (TN). I have heard that assistant coach Steve Hardin will take over on an interim basis.
• I blogged on 7/6 that the two finalists for the Georgian Court University (NJ)job were East Stroudsburg associate head coach Justin Potts, and former Monmouth head coach Dave Calloway (http://hoopdirt.com/blog/e266c662/daily-dirt-7-6-12/…). I have now heard from two separate sources that they have both turned the job down. Georgian Court is apparently back to square one – I have not heard any additional names.
• Queensborough CC (NY) has hired Robert G. Holford Jr. as their new head basketball coach. He has previously been the head coach at Medgar Evers (NY) and Hostos CC (NY). Prior to coming to Queensborough, Coach Holford was Founder and CEO of Grassroots Community Youth Development Inc., in Queens. QCC alum Damian Broadwater will serve as Holford’s top assistant.
• Dan Devantier has been promoted from volunteer assistant to paid assistant at Sullivan CC (NY). He replaces Gregg Semenetz who took a job in administration at Loyola (MD). Devantier in the younger brother of Sullivan CC HC Kevin Devantier.
• I can confirm that Josh Yesner has accepted the assistant coaching position at Palm Beach State. Yesner has been the head coach at Pompano Beach HS the past two seasons. He replaces Brian Mullican who will take over the program at Inlet Grove HS (FL).
• I missed this one earlier in the month…Marshall has promoted Josh King to replace Jorge Fernandez who resigned in June. Actually a pretty funny story about Kings hiring: http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071112aaa.h…
You must LOGIN to post a comment