Spectrum Center, home of the Charlotte Hornets, is seeking an upbeat individual to support members of the Basketball Operations staff with daily team operations and logistics. We prefer that you are pursuing a degree in sports management or sports medicine, but this is not required. The position is unpaid and you must obtain academic credit for your work. Hours vary – You should be available for most arena events throughout the semester that may occur on evenings and/or weekends, including Arena Events and Hornets games.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing administrative support to Hornets Basketball Operations staff
- Assisting basketball operations equipment manager and staff with various department related projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of programs is required along with a general understanding of basketball.
- Working with the Hornets Equipment Manager to maintain the inventory and working condition of all Hornets equipment including uniforms and practice gear.
- Assisting staff during home games and practices
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and have a valid driver’s license.
Required Skills, Experience, and Abilities
The qualifications listed below represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Outgoing personality with good communication skills.
- Ability to work on projects and maintain confidential information.
- Maintain professional image at all times.
- Express an interest in basketball, as well as familiarity with basketball terminology and advanced statistics. Prior basketball is a plus.
- Strong computer and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- You must have excellent time management skills and be able to prioritize tasks when given clearly defined goals and objectives
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when privy to sensitive information
- Be a flexible and reliable teammate, both within the department and the company as a whole
- Thrive in a dynamic, deadline driven environment
- Presents self in professional manner and has the ability to interact with all levels of organization and outside contacts.
- Ability to multi-task, work extended hours including nights, weekends, holidays and the ability to attend company events.
Education and/or Experience
- Must be able to receive academic credit
- Pursuing a degree in sports management/sports medicine, or the desire to pursue a career in the sports industry.