Bryant and Stratton College’s (Wisconsin) Athletic Department is searching for a full-time assistant basketball coach. All sports compete at the NJCAA Division II level. All coaches are responsible for the overall development and advancement of a competitive athletic program while demonstrating high moral and ethical standards and positive sportsmanship. The assistant coach must focus not only on excellence on the court, but recognize and emphasize academic excellence in the classroom as well. The assistant coach along with the head coach and athletic director, must operate within the budget to meet the team needs and enforce rules pertaining to the College, student conduct, and governing rules and regulations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The men’s basketball assistant coach serves in the College Athletic Department, under the supervision of the Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach.
- The assistant coach is responsible for recruiting players, holding tryouts and coaching the intercollegiate basketball team at Bryant & Stratton College. The coach is also responsible for the instruction of players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- The assistant coach is responsible for all NJCAA Division II rules as it relates to offering scholarships.
- The assistant coach is expected to become knowledgeable of all National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) basketball rules, including student-athlete eligibility requirements.
- The assistant coach must travel with the team unless alternate arrangements have been approved by the Athletic Director and Head Coach. The coach may be required to drive vans to basketball games.
- The assistant coach may be required to attend annual NJCAA Region IV meetings.
- The assistant coach must promote the academic success of student-athletes to include monitoring the academic performance of team members to ensure eligibility requirements are met; and encourages student athletes to maintain a high academic standard.
- As representatives of the College, all coaches and student-athletes must conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- Flexible hours for practicing and recruiting will be needed.
- Ability to travel on weekends to recruit perspective student-athletes.
- Flexibility to recruit and work camps.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Athletic Director and/or Head Basketball Coach.
- Monitors academic progress of student-athletes on the men’s basketball team and other sports which includes attendance, class room behavior and grades.
- Meet with prospective student-athletes and their parent, as needed during admissions process.
- Coordinates preparation of learning plan suitable to each student athlete’s intended major.
- Provides academic support services to student athletes, including assistance with career planning, admissions, registration, and tutoring coordination.
- Maintains communications with faculty, coaches, and other athletic staff relating to the academic progress of student athletes. Develops academic improvement strategies for students, working with tutoring staff.
- Manually and electronically monitor student-athletes’ progress towards a degree and academic eligibility as outlined by the college and NJCAA guidelines.
- Help student athletes on their path toward NCAA eligibility at the four- year level.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree
- Required: Coaching experience at the high school level or above.
- Desired: Basketball coaching experience at the college level
- Desired: College recruiting experience
- Desired: Experience in Academic Advising Student Athletes
- Desired: Experience with NCAA rules & regulations in regards to two year transfers
- First aid/CPR certification is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, planning and leadership skills required.
- Must be able to serve as a positive role model for young adults.
- Familiarity with NJCAA rules and regulations is a plus.
- Clean driving record is preferred.