What a wild day yesterday…Kelsey backs out on UMass just before the press conference, JT3 gets fired, fake news on James Whitford to Duquesne, and a letter from Byron Samuels that briefly crashed our site because of all of the traffic it generated. Here are a few things that I’ve heard while preparing for another crazy day…
- UMass AD Ryan Bamford said that Pat Kelsey owes the university $1 million for leaving within two years of his five-year deal, according to a buyout clause in the Memorandum of Understanding he signed Tuesday. That’s a pretty costly change of heart for Kelsey who announced late last night that he will be returning to Winthrop.
- Apparently ESPN “inadvertently” published an article last night claiming that Ball State head coach James Whitford had been hired at Duquesne. I have heard from great sources that he has interviewed for the position, but definitely not accepted it at this point (and not sure if he will). I should know more here by mid-morning.
- Early names that I’ve heard at Coppin State are: Morgan State assistant Larry Stewart (former NBA player and Coppin State alum), Jacksonville State assistant Jake Morton (played at Miami, former assistant at Coppin State), and District of Columbia women’s coach Juan Dixon (former ACC player of the year at Maryland, and NBA vet). More names as I hear them.
- Speaking of MEAC jobs and NBA veterans…I’ve heard that 17-year NBA vet Rod Strickland is involved with the job at Florida A&M. He had been on the staff at South Florida before being released this season. Strickland has also worked at Kentucky and Memphis.
- Yesterday, I reported that Nevada’s Eric Musselman had withdrawn his name from the Cal search. I can now also report that Montana head coach Travis DeCuire is no longer involved. My man Kyle Sample from Skyline Sports has confirmed with DeCuire that he will “100% be returning to Montana next season.”
- In case you missed this from last night – Final Four at DII Flagler College (FL) includes 3 DI assistants and a JC head coach. Find out who they are HERE.
- Another DII school making progress in their search…Tusculum College (TN) is down to eight finalists. I have heard that Skype interviews begin next week.
- DIII John Carroll University (OH) has begun on campus interviews. Two names that I have heard who have gotten interviews are current assistant Pete Moran, and a current HCAC head coach from Ohio. Should be two more on campus interviews coming.