Some post-national championship Daily Dirt….
• Wes Miller is working hard to assemble a staff at UNC-Greensboro. I’ve heard that Buffalo assistant Turner Battle and Rice assistant Mike Roberts are involved here. Battle was the MAC Player of the Year in 2005 at Buffalo, and has been on the staff there for the past five seasons. Roberts is a former captain at Indiana who has also worked at Texas Tech and Cal. I’ve also heard that a Miller has spoken with a few former UNC players about joining the staff. The name that I hear most is Shammond Williams. He was the 34th pick in the 1998 draft and has been playing professionally overseas since then.
• Yesterday I mentioned that I had heard Virginia Tech assistant Rob Ehsan would be joining Jarrod Haase’s staff at UAB. It sounds like there is another Hokie involved here as well. Virginia Tech DBO Jeff Wulbrun’s name has come up several times now and sounds like he will be hired as well. Wulbrun has been an assistant at Cal and Illinois State. His hook here….he was an assistant at Cal in 1992 when Haase was a freshman there. I’ve also heard Eastern Kentucky assistant Richie Riley’s name mentioned as a possible assistant as well.
• I’ve heard that former URI assistant Pat Clarke will be joining Jim Baron’s staff at Canisius. Clarke has been with Baron at both URI and St. Bonaventure. Clark is familiar with the Buffalo area – the St. Bonaventure grad spent 11 years as the AD at Archbishop Walsh HS in Olean, NY.
• Sounds like Duquesne reached out to Akron head coach Keith Dambrot to see if he was interested in their job. He is not….he told them that he is content where he is. Dambrot’s father starred at Duquesne in the 1950’s.
• The search at Eastern Illinois is winding down. Vanderbilt assistant David Cason interviewed on campus yesterday and Nevada associate head coach Doug Novsek will interview today. Last week, Xavier assistant Kareem Richardson, Oregon assistant Brian Fish, and Moberly Area CC head coach Jay Spoonhour all interviewed on campus.