Some things that I’ve heard while waiting for the Red Sox home opener…
- Fresno State’s hiring of Justin Hutson is expected to be made official later today. Hutson has been the associate head coach at San Diego State for the past five seasons. The Bakersfield native has also been an assistant at Cal Poly. It sounds like he may be bringing SDSU assistant Tim Shelton with him. More on this after the announcement.
- Not a good day to be Jimmy Patsos. He’s now being investigated for verbally abusing a team manager with mental disorder. The posse at Siena has been after him for a while, and this may be the way they can make a move without having to pay the buyout (somewhere in the range of $1.2m). Patrick Beilein is going to be a hot name here if it goes south for Patsos.
- I have heard that URI assistant coach Tyron Boswell will remain on the Rams staff with new head coach David Cox. Last year was Boswell’s first as an assistant after serving as the DBO for former head coach Dan Hurley. Before coming to URI, he was the director of basketball operations for Expressions Elite (AAU). Look for an official announcement here soon.
- Brigham Waginger will be retained by new Western Carolina head coach Mark Prosser. Waginger is a 2010 WCU alum who had been on Larry Hunter’s staff since he graduated.
- William & Mary assistant coach Kotie Kimble is headed to Charlotte. He had been on the Tribe staff since 2011, and had served as an assistant at UNC Asheville before that. This is expected to be made official shortly.
- Sidney Crist has resigned as an assistant coach at DII West Virginia Wesleyan to pursue other opportunities. He had been on the Bobcats staff for one season, and also served as an assistant at University of Charleston. HoopDirt.com expects to have the full-time job posting up later today.
- Phone interviews have started at DIII NYU this week. I have heard that at least 10 coaches will be interviewed. The group includes Patriot and Ivy league assistants, current DIII head coaches, and a few randos. More on this one as I hear it.
- I have heard that DIII Washington University in St. Louis met with five candidates at the Final Four. I heard that a Big West assistant, an Ivy League assistant, and a WIAC head coach are all involved.
- The complete up-to-date list of coaching changes at all levels can he found here: HoopDirt.com Coaching Changes Tracker.