- Sounds like the John Groce to Akron deal is just about wrapped up. The former Illinois head coach is expected to be made official at Arkon as early as today. Interesting tidbit on this search…many believed that the internal candidate to interview for the Zips job was long-time assistant coach Rick McFadden, but I have heard that it was actually assistant coach Charles Thomas. He had been on the Akron staff for the past seven seasons, and was at Radford before that. I have heard that both Thomas and McFadden are going to be joining Keith Dambrot’s staff at Duquesne.
- The search at New Mexico is in full swing. There was some speculation that Nebraska head coach Tim Miles was contacted, but sounds like that was just a rumor. Other names that I’ve heard are Florida Gulf Coast Head Coach Joe Dooley and Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield. I’ve also heard that there’s an outside shot that former NC State head coach Mark Gottfried chases this one. AD Paul Krebs seems to be moving quickly here.
- Furman is making progress in their search. I have heard from great sources that UNC Asheville head coach has kicked the tires on this one, but may be staying put. The hot name now is Winthrop Associate Head Coach Mark Prosser. The former assistant at both Bucknell and Wofford has also been the head coach at DII Brevard College (NC).
- Speaking of Big South schools…I’ve heard that a decision will be made on the future of a current head coach in the league by the end of the week. More on this as I hear it.
- Cornell Mann and Chris Hollender will be joining Cuonzo Martin’s staff at Missouri. Mann has most recently been an assistant at Oakland and has also worked at Iowa State, Dayton, Western Michigan and Central Michigan. Hollender has been on the UMKC staff since 2015, and has also been an assistant at Mississippi State, Evansville, and Army.
- NAIA Ottawa University (AZ) is starting a basketball program and they have hired Mid-American Nazarene Associate Head Coach Matt Keeley to lead it. Keeley had been on the MNU staff since 2009, and is a Hall-of-Famer at the school. Looking for the connection??…former MNU AD Kevin Steele is now the AD at OUAZ and has brought Keeley with him.