Some things that I’ve heard…
- I have heard that Boston College assistant Preston Murphy is headed to Creighton. Murphy worked for Jim Christian at BC for one season. Before coming to The Heights, he was an assistant at his alma mater URI. He will replace Patrick Sellers who joined Dave Leitao’s staff at DePaul earlier this month.
- Some names have surfaced in the search to replace assistant Jim Shaw at St. Mary’s (CA). Shaw recently became the head coach at his alma mater Western Oregon. The names that I have heard are: Chris Cobb (assistant coach Montana), Rodney Tention (former assistant at San Diego – former head coach at Loyola Marymount), and Danny Yoshikawa (former assistant at San Francisco and UC Santa Barbara). I have also been told that former Nevada head coach David Carter could be a name to keep an eye on here.
- Duane Woodward has been promoted from DBO to assistant coach at Monmouth. He replaces Brian Reese who became the head coach at DII Georgian Court University (NJ). Woodward joined King Rice’s staff prior to last season. The former Boston College standout also worked at Fordham and Queens (NY) after wrapping up a long career over seas.
- Yesterday, I mentioned that New Mexico JC head coach James Miller is headed to Nebraska Omaha as an assistant (Daily Dirt – 5/13/15). It now sounds like his replacement at NMJC will be assistant coach Brian Lohrey. Lohrey has spent the past three seasons at NMJC, and was an assistant at Central Missouri before that.
- I have heard that phone interviews have started this week at DIII Purchase College (NY). Not sure how many will be interviewed, but it sounds like on-campus interviews could start as early as next week.