A bunch of things that I’ve heard…
Following up on something that I TWEETED earlier this morning…former Portland assistant Bob Cantu has landed at Kansas. He will serve in a non-coaching role as an advisor on Bill Self’s staff. He was at Portland from 2016 until this past spring, spent three seasons assistant at UTEP, and worked at USC for 12 seasons, where he spent time as the interim head coach.
- According to Jon Rothstein, former Cleveland State head coach Dennis Felton is expected to be hired as an assistant at Fordham. Felton, who has also served as the head coach at Western Kentucky and Georgia, was released at CSU last month.
- I have heard that former Cal Poly assistant Kevon Davis has become an assistant at Indian Hills CC (IA). Davis had spent the past three seasons at Cal Poly, and had previously worked at the JUCO level at both Casper College (WY) and Harcum College (PA).
- Former University of Houston guard Landon Goesling has become a graduate assistant on Kelvin Sampson’s staff. Goesling wrapped up his playing career for the Cougars this past season as a graduate transfer. He also played at St. Edward’s University (TX), and Appalachian State.
- DIII searches have wrapped up at Rutgers Camden, Montclair State, and SUNY Plattsburgh. I’ve heard that the choice at Rutgers Camden is a current DIII assistant from NJ and SUNY Plattsburgh has targeted a current DIII head coach from the region (not sure if he will accept or not). Montclair State has made their choice – I’m still working on the name.
- Assistant coach Pat Luptowski has departed the staff at DIII Brandeis University. He will be replaced by Hoop Group staffer Sam Rubinstein. A former manager at UMass, Rubinstein had served in various roles at the Hoop Group since 2017. I have also heard that the Judges will elevate assistant coach Sean Tabb to the role of associate head coach.
- Cole Clearman will become an assistant at DII Georgia Southwestern. He spent last season on the staff at Oklahoma Pan Handle State where he worked for new GSW head coach Aaron Combs. Clearman played collegiately at Missouri Western.
- I have heard that Randy Lee has been added to the basketball staff a Polk State CC (FL). Lee had spent the past four seasons as an assistant at Southeastern University (FL), and has been the head coach at Tennessee Temple University, Texas Permian Basin, and Maine at Machias.