Catching up on a bunch of things that I’ve heard…
- Former New Mexico State assistant Jesse Bopp has landed as the varsity basketball coach at IMG Academy (FL). He was a finalist to become the head coach at NMSU this past spring after Paul Weir jumped ship to the University of New Mexico. Bopp has also worked at Chattanooga, VCU, and Florida.
- Eamonn Mahar has been named as an graduate manager on Tim Cluess’ staff at Iona. He had most recently been a staffer for the Hoop Group.
I can confirm that the vacant assistant position at Fresno State has been filled. More on this in a few days when I am off of double secret probation…
- I have heard that Pacific Video Specialist James Alford has departed for a job in the NBA. Alford was an assistant at Cal State Bakersfield before joining the Pacific staff last season.
It sounds like the vacant Director of Player Development position at Idaho will be filled by an internal candidate. An announcement could be coming soon.
- Jacksonville State has hired Kurt Benjamin as a graduate assistant. Benjamin had spent the past four seasons as a manager at Iowa State where he worked for Steve Prohm and Fred Hoiberg.
- Former Drake Director of Basketball Operations Chris McMahon will be named as an assistant coach at Simpson College (IA). He had been at Drake since 2015, and was a HS coach in the Des Moines area before that.
- Word on the street is that Evan O’Brien will be named as the Interim Head Coach at Pine Manor College. He has been the associate head coach at PMC since 2014, and has also been the interim head coach at both Framingham State and Newbury College. An official announcement is expected shortly.
- West Virginia Tech head coach Bob Williams has added Ryan Wise as an assistant. Wise is a 2016 West Virginia University graduate. He has served as the Director of Operations and coach for the Blue-Gold Select AAU program and also worked at Trinity Christian School (WV) and Mapletown High School (PA).
Dee Frazier will join former NBA head coach and player Darrell Walker’s staff at Clark Atlanta. It sounds like he will be named as the program’s video coordinator. Frazier has also served as a student assistant at Valdosta State, and as the Director of Basketball Operations for Evelyn Mack Academy (NC).