A few things that I’ve heard…
- I can confirm that former Tennessee Tech head coach Steve Payne will be hired as an assistant on Billy Donlon’s new staff at UMKC. Payne had spent the past seventeen seasons at TTU (eight as the head coach, nine as an assistant), before resigning earlier this spring.
- It sounds likely that Arkansas assistants Melvin Watkins and TJ Cleveland will be headed to St. John’s with Mike Anderson. Watkins (the former head coach at Texas A&M and Charlotte) has been with Anderson since 2006, at both Missouri and Arkansas. Cleveland has been with Anderson since 2011. Another name rumored to be in the mix is Queens native, and current Western Kentucky assistant Mark Hsu.
- I have heard that new Southeastern Louisiana head coach David Kiefer will retain current assistant Mike Cyprien. The Southeastern alum joined the staff at his alma mater prior to last season, and has also worked there from 2011-14.
- DII Gannon University (PA) has focused on some high level coaches in their search. I can confirm that Albany assistant Josh Pelletier was involved here early. Now, it sounds like the final group includes an assistant from C-USA, and a VERY successful JUCO head coach. More on this one as I hear it.
- The search at DII Art U (CA) sounds like it’s wrapping up. I have heard from multiple sources that Dominican University (CA) associate head coach Scott Waterman is the leader here, and an official announcement could come early next week. Waterman has been at Dominican for the past two seasons, and has worked at the DI level at Dartmouth, Cal State Fullerton, and Long Beach State.
- The search to replace Ryan Looney (Idaho State) at DII Point Loma Nazarene is moving quickly. I’ve heard that they are already focused on two candidates – both current head coaches. More on this one shortly.