News and notes from the college basketball coaching world…
- Interesting side note from D2 Fort Hays State win at Kansas State on Tuesday. FHSU head coach Mark Johnson (the all-time leader in wins at the school), and associate head coach Jeremy Brown both missed the game due to COVID issues. 2nd-year assistant Todd Johnston led the Tigers to the victory. More HERE.
- Duke’s Coach K makes the case for college basketball to reassess playing right now. He commented, “You have 2,000 deaths a day. You have 200,000 cases. People are saying the next six weeks are going be the worst. To me, it’s already pretty bad. On the other side of it, there are these vaccines that are coming out. By the end of the month 20 million vaccine shots will be given. By the end of January or in February, another 100 million. Should we not reassess that? See just what would be best?” More HERE. You can also weigh in on our TWITTER POLL.
- Jay Wright, one of college basketball’s best dressed coaches, on ditching his suits this season, “The only reason I wear a suit — I think a lot of us — just out of respect for the game,” Wright said. “And out of respect for the great coaches like Nat Holman and Frank McGuire and everybody who started this and dressed that way. But this is how we really should dress. It’s sports. We’re in a game.” More from the Philly Inquirer HERE.
- Former NBA/WNBA/College head coach Paul Westhead has written a new book – ” “The Speed Game: My Fast Times in Basketball.” In an interview about the book, Westhead said about his style, “I’m going to knock your socks off, and I am going to play so fast — you and the fans are going to fall out of your seats in enjoyment.” More HERE.
- Purdue Ft. Wayne has announced that Dr. Ed Leonard, the first men’s basketball coach in Mastodon history, has passed away. According to the release, “Doc was a pioneer in the Mastodon Athletics community. With a couple hundred dollars and a basketball, he was the first men’s basketball head coach in Mastodon history. In 1967-68, his team finished the year with a record of 7-4, and every one of those players left the university with an undergraduate degree.” More HERE.
- Week 2 HoopDirt.com / Just Play Solutions Coach of the Week winners were released on Monday. Complete list of winners is HERE. Nominations for week 3 can be sent to: [email protected] Deadline is Sunday night at 5pm.