The search to replace Dan Majerle at Grand Canyon is moving pretty quickly. It sounds like former USA Basketball and Phoenix Suns President Jerry Colangelo is very involved in this one (and is currently serving as a “Strategic Advisor”). A common thread so far – all guys with head coaching experience. Here are some of the names that I’ve heard:
- Randy Bennett – Head Coach St. Mary’s (CA): The long-time Gael’s head coach is a Mesa, AZ native (played for his father Tom at Mesa CC). In his 19 seasons at SMC, he has gone 440-182 (.707). Is in a great situation at St. Mary’s, but the $ that GCU is able to throw around, combined with the chance to return home could be alluring.
- Bryce Drew – Former Head Coach Vanderbilt and Valparaiso: Was replaced by Jerry Stackhouse at Vandy last spring after struggling to get it going in three seasons there (40-59). Killed it at Valpo before that however, going 124-49 (.717) in his five seasons. Played in the NBA for six seasons following his playing career at Valpo.
- Todd Lee – Head Coach University of South Dakota. The former Grand Canyon assistant just wrapped up his second season at USD with a 20-12 record. Played a big role in GCU’s transition to DI. Also spent eight seasons at the head coach at Kentucky Wesleyan.
- Marvin Menzies – Associate Head Coach Grand Canyon. Last season was the first for Menzies at GCU following stints as the head coach at both UNLV and New Mexico State. In 12 seasons as a head coach, owns a 246-159 (.607) record. Former assistant at Louisville and USC.
- Damon Stoudamire – Head Coach University of the Pacific. The former University of Arizona star has gotten it going at Pacific, finishing this past season with a 23-10 record. The 7th pick in the 1995 NBA draft spent 13-years in the league before turning to coaching. Also worked as an assistant at Memphis and Arizona.