- This position, under the direction of the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, independently performs and is responsible for (1) assisting the Head Coach in the coordination of a safe, enthusiastic, growing men’s basketball program, (2) the recruitment, supervision, and coaching of NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) men’s basketball athletes, under the guidelines of the college, KCAC (Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference) and NAIA policies and procedures, and (3) working with all staff to provide a quality program and encourage student athletes in both athletic excellence and good sportsmanship.
- Assists in the administration of all phases of a NAIA basketball program including recruiting qualified student athletes.
- Serve as the junior varsity program’s head coach.
- Assists in formulate the team’s competitive schedule.
- Assist in organizing and training athletes for successful and safe competition.
- Keep abreast of current trends and methods by participating in clinics, workshops, etc. that contribute to professional development and self-improvement.
- Adhere to college, KCAC and NAIA policies and procedures.
- Foster cooperative working relationships with immediate supervisor as well as any staff or team members associated with the program.
- Cooperate with other coaches in providing the optimum sports program possible under existing conditions.
- Assist in preparing timely and accurate documents i.e. travel expense statements, itineraries, etc.
- Take the initiative to provide new ideas and concepts to improve the efficiency and productivity of the staff.
- Support the athletic department’s goals and philosophies.
- Assist in monitoring and supporting the academic success of student athletes.
- Assist in planning and conducting pre- and post-season conditioning and training programs.
- Help prepare and manage records for the team.
- Assist in arranging team travel and meals.
- Assist in overseeing the safety conditions of the facility or area in which the sport is conducted at all times.
- Assist in coordinating visits by recruits and their families.
- Assist in general upkeep and protection of equipment under the jurisdiction of the program.
- Carry out other related administrative duties as directed by the Head Coach
- Participate in team meetings, providing input and suggestions.
- Assist in providing continual evaluation of processes and procedures. Responsible for suggesting methods to improve area operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external customers.
- Work in collaboration and cooperation with other departments and academic divisions on campus, using timely and appropriate judgment in upward communication regarding department concerns and responsibilities
- Regular and satisfactory attendance and punctuality.
- Provide four hours per day of general administrative support in the Student Development Office.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
- Masters degree preferred so that the candidate could be eligible to teach classes.
- Good communication skills, organized, and able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences, including students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, administration, and the community-at-large.
- Ability to handle multiple projects/assignments concurrently and be very results-oriented.
- Highly motivated and works well both independently and in a team environment.