Provide learning support opportunities to students in assigned target group(s) through conducting programs designed to help them excel in their academic endeavors. Services provided including tutoring and academic coaching.
- Plan, design, coordinate, and assist with a range of programs and services related to tutoring, supplemental instruction, enrichment programs, and/or group study programs.
- Assist with hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating tutors, SI leaders, and student assistants.
- Participate in data management/assessment of all peer-learning programs and provide support for the Centers scheduling system.
- Assist with all operations and logistics in assigned tutoring area, including managing tutoring reception desk, departmental tutoring rooms; oversee technology and A/V equipment that support tutoring programs.
- Contribute to marketing materials for tutoring and academic support programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Zero to two years job related experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires knowledge of effective teaching and learning practices; knowledge of student development theory and advising practices; working knowledge of provision of academic support services; advanced skills in office computer applications; familiarity with basic skills in data analysis and descriptive statistics; strong verbal and written skills; excellent customer service skills.
- Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred Work Experience: One year related experience in academic support, this position provides a holistic student-athlete experience through mentoring, counseling and support aimed to achieve academic excellence and progress toward graduation for a diverse student-athlete population. Develop and oversee individualized support plans for assigned student-athletes through use of structured study hall, midterm U meeting, time management, study skills development and learning strategies. Collaborate with on-campus advisors to advise student-athletes across all GT majors in regards to course selection, class schedule, major concentration and graduation plans. Aid in monitoring NCAA PTD, continuing eligibility, academic standing and GT graduation plans of student-athletes while communicating regularly with colleagues to insure compliance with eligibility requirements. Create and maintain weekly student-athlete assessment reports and communicate concerns consistently and in a timely manner with the Senior Academic Coordinator, Assistant Director, Assistant AD, Associate AD and coaching staff. Communicate with faculty regarding student-athletes’ class progress (e.g. attendance, performance, participation, behavior) and assist with all aspects of sport(s) specific faculty guest coach program. Oversee sport(s) specific group study hall structure and implement both small group and individual tutoring assistance as needed. Assist in organizing and conducting academic presentations for PSA recruiting visits in coordination with on-campus advisors. Assist with evaluation and pre-certification of student-athletes, NCAA initial eligibility/transfer eligibility. Assist in recruiting process of prospective student-athletes. Collaborate with scheduling and coordinating student-athlete events in conjunction with the Total Person Program (e.g. student-athlete orientation, student-athlete career fair, freshmen leadership academy, graduate test prep). Disseminate information to student-athletes and coaches on institutional policies and procedures. Understand the institutions interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty, parents, students, coaches, etc. Refer student-athletes to the appropriate specialized staff for such issues as comprehensive counseling, financial assistance, international student-athlete counseling, ADAPTS, etc. Perform and interpret Degree Works audits. Cooperate with the Athletics compliance office regarding NCAA rules and policies, including reporting requirements, and make a determined effort to ensure that staff and teams are in compliance.
- Preferred Certifications: N/A
- Preferred Skills: Building Trust, Communication, Service, Collaboration, Interpersonal Awareness, Drive, Technical/Professional Knowledge & Skills, Influence, Integrity, Conflict Management, Developing Others, Conflict Management, Cultural Competence
Additional Information: This position must have the ability to work with a diverse group of student-athletes to include men’s basketball. Must have knowledge of NCAA and ACC rules and regulations. May require non-traditional work hours. Must have experience with Microsoft Office Suite, GradesFirst and other basic/related computer applications.
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: GT & GTAA Administration, Faculty, Coaches, Staff and Student-Athletes. This position typically will advise and counsel: Student-Athletes and Coaches. This position will supervise: Student-Athletes.
Department Description Georgia Tech Athletics has an exciting opportunity for an Academic Coordinator. This position provides a holistic student-athlete experience through mentoring, counseling and support aimed to achieve academic excellence and progress toward graduation for a diverse student-athlete population.
Our NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics program is one steeped in history and success, while embracing strategic innovation. Tech fans are passionate about their support of their beloved Yellow Jackets and cherish the many traditions involved with the program. The Georgia Tech Athletic Association sponsors varsity intercollegiate athletics competition in 17 sports for the Georgia Institute of Technology.