- Assist with all aspects of NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Program, including student recruitment and development, on court coaching, contest scheduling, compliance with NCAA, Conference and University of Hawaii rules and regulations, student-athlete academic achievement, and other duties assigned by the Head Coach. Additionally, the incumbent must maintain collaborative working relationships with administrators and coaches in the department, other college offices, and appropriate relationships with members of the media, donors, and other individuals interested in the sports program.
- Assist and participates in practices and intercollegiate competitions. Teach necessary skills from the basic fundamentals to the techniques and strategies of team play.
- Promote and foster a positive team environment, appropriate behavior, and sportsmanship by team members. Responsible for the conduct of team members both on and off the court.
- Promote the physical and mental well being of all program participants.
- Assist with evaluating, recruiting and selecting qualified prospects who have the ability to compete in the classroom and athletically. Actively seek out and encourage a diverse group of prospects and assist them through the application process. Work collaboratively with the Compliance, Student-Athlete Services, and Academics staff to qualify and process prospects in a timely and efficient manner. Make recurring contacts by telephone, written correspondence, off-campus visits and evaluations, and coordination of campus visits as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Assist with overseeing the academic progress and success of student-athletes including promoting and maintaining an environment that encourages academic achievement as measured by academic eligibility, retention, and graduation.
- Participates in sports clinics, exhibitions, and camps as approved.
- Actively participates in fundraising, promotional, and public relation activities for the sports program.
- Responsible for performing the duties of a Campus Security Authority as defined by University policy and federal law with regards to the Clery Act.
- Maintains confidentiality to include but not limited to information, files and records that the incumbent may obtain or possess, in accordance with federal and state laws and University of Hawaii policies.
- Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the University of Hawaii and its employees, and the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and of the affiliated conference as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Immediately advises the Director of Athletics or designee if there is reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees, students, or others, have occurred or will occur.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Graduation from an accredited four year college or university;
- One (1) year experience coaching basketball at the college or university level;
- or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of basketball as competed at the collegiate level.
- Division I basketball coaching experience.