The key principles of this job are to:
- Support ACU’s Mission: Educate students for Christian service and leadership throughout the world.
- Support ACU’s 21st Century Vision: By 2020, ACU will become the premier university for the education of Christ-centered, global leaders.
Scope: Responsible to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach for coaching student athlete and recruiting.
I. Basic Responsibilities
- Coaching student athletes
- Coordinating travel
- Other duties as directed by Head Men’s Basketball Coach
II. Essential Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Evaluate potential basketball student athletes
- Recruit potential basketball student athletes via mail-outs, phone contacts, and personal visits on and off campus
- Establish and develop relationships with high school coaches, youth ministers, and other sources of potential basketball student athletes
B. Coaching student athletes
- Teach principles, skills and techniques of the game
- Develop physical skills of basketball
- Develop mental skills of basketball
- Ascertain game plan for opponent
- Oversee academic progress for basketball student athletes
C. Coordinating Travel
- Coordinate team travel
- Responsible for team travel expenditures.
- Coordinate with FAC/Provost absentee approvals for team travel
D. Other duties as directed by Head Men’s Basketball Coach
- All other duties assigned.
III. Professional Development Requirements:
- Adept interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent knowledge of basketball
B. Training Modules Required
- Basketball clinics and seminars
- Leadership, management, and decision-making workshops
ACU is affiliated with the fellowship of the Church of Christ. This position requires the employee to be a professing Christian and to be willing to support the Christian mission of ACU.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Coaching experience
- Leadership or management experience
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Strong communication and professional skills
- Ability to work and interact well with all levels of staff, faculty, and administration
V. Physical Demands
- Strong voice for extended period of talking
- Able to endure extended periods of walking and/or standing
- Able to demonstrate techniques used in basketball
- Able to adapt to long, extended hours of travel