Saint Joseph’s University is a private, Catholic, Jesuit institution and we expect members of our community to be knowledgeable about – and to make a positive contribution to – our mission. Saint Joseph’s University is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. The University is committed to the diversity of its faculty and staff so that our students, our disciplines and our community as a whole can benefit from the multiple perspectives it offers. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. EOE
Saint Joseph’s University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in its programs and activities, including admission and employment, in accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for overseeing compliance with Title IX and other civil rights laws and regulations. To contact the Title IX Coordinator, e-mail [email protected], visit Campion Student Center suite 243, or call 610-660-1145. To learn more about the University’s Title IX policies, the process for filing a report or formal complaint of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, or other form of sexual misconduct, and the University’s response to reports and/or formal complaints, please visit www.sju.edu/titleix. Inquiries may also be directed to the Federal agency responsible for enforcing Title IX, the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Open to: Internal Applicants Only, Internal and External Applicants
Full-Time or Part-Time Status
Full-Time, 12 months
Staff Job Type
Position Summary or Faculty Qualifications
Under the direction of the Head Coach, the Assistant Coach – Player Development will be responsible for leading, supervising, implementing, and coaching on-court skill development programs and oversee specific video analysis for Men’s Basketball student-athletes. Additionally, this position will be involved in other duties and responsibilities that assist in the daily function of a college basketball program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- On-court instruction with specialization and enhanced knowledge of all positions and basketball systems
- Organize, lead, and teach player development drills with specific emphasis on offensive and defensive strategy
- Oversee and instruct all team concepts in training sessions
- Direct opponent scouting for offensive, defensive, and situational trends
- Lead video evaluations and review film study to enhance player development
- Manage in-game analysis for statistical patterns of specific players, team and/or opponent
- Create videos for player comparisons and teaching enhancement
- Assist other assistant coaches with drills, scouting, and video breakdown
- Recruiting – duties pertain to on campus recruiting responsibilities for scholastic and transfer portal PSAs
- Supervise video edits and film breakdown
- Create player descriptions, comparisons, and reports that emphasize current/future roster management discussions
- Assist with campus visit itineraries and execution
- Operations – execute and assist program operations including, but not limited to:
- Academic monitoring
- Game and training set up
- Alumni relationships
- Video and film study
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
* Occasional need to lift, move and prepare equipment for practice, competition and special events.
* Position requires frequent evening and weekend hours
* Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred
* 5+ years basketball experience at a collegiate or professional level with a demonstrated record of effectiveness in playing and/or coaching.
* Demonstrated knowledge and adherence to NCAA and member conference rules and regulations.
* Administrative skills such as prioritization and organization are needed.
* Must be self-directed and motivated and be able to work independently.
* A valid driver’s license and ability to meet the standards of SJU’s current Motor Vehicle Policy are required.
* Current CPR, AED, and First Aid certification must be maintained.
* Subject to pre-placement physical exam, motor vehicle record check, and criminal background check.
* Understanding and commitment to the mission of Saint Joseph’s University.
* Successful background check clearances to include a PA Criminal Records