Responsible for providing administrative, instructional and coaching assistance to the Head Coach with the purpose of building a successful, competitive intercollegiate sports program that also retains and graduates student-athletes.
1. Maintains complete knowledge and compliance of rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics while working within the department’s rules, regulations and policies.
2. Participates in the effective recruiting, instruction and coaching of student-athletes, emphasizing fundamentals, conditioning, game preparation and strategy.
3. Responsible to maintain an environment that emphasizes academics as a priority, making every effort to ensure that all student-athletes meet academic requirements, while working to integrate sports into the academic life of the University.
4. Assists in the preparation of an annual written plan and goals for the program and the annual assessment of performance in relation to the plan and goals.
5. Maintains discipline in the program, promotes fairness, understanding and protectiveness of student-athletes while motivating them.
6. Maintains an environment of cooperation and continuous improvement, maintaining positive communications supporting the athletic program, the University and University staff.
7. Participates in marketing and promotional activities with media, alumni and civic groups consistent with the objectives of the athletic program.
8. Assists with recruiting evaluations, official visits and any travel-related activities of prospective student-athletes.
9. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Bachelor’s degree in Sports Science or preferably a related discipline plus one to two years’ experience in coaching sports or in a related role. We also accept a foreign equivalent degree based on suitable combination of experience, education and training.
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
• Advanced knowledge of NCAA and Conference Rules and Regulations as they pertain to student-athletes.
• Strong knowledge of coaching concepts and methods; ability to encourage, motivate, and guide individuals or teams in learning and improving effectiveness.
• Working knowledge of and ability to use the methods, tools and techniques required to develop an instructional delivery system that meets the learning needs of a given population in a timely fashion.
• Working knowledge of and ability to select talented students for participation on sports teams and scholarships consistent with NCAA rules.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated management skills and knowledge of supervision and management practices.
• Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.