The athletic department is committed to Christ centered holistic development of student athletes through intercollegiate athletics. The purpose of athletics at WJU is to assist in the growth of student athletes physically, mentally, academically and spiritually. The Assistant Coach provides assistance in all facets of managing a competitive intercollegiate athletic program and helps to create an environment that models competitive excellence, sportsmanship and Christ like character.
1. Recruiting; assist Head Coach with the recruitment of student athletes that fit the University. Plan and implement recruiting strategy, schedule recruiting trips, coordinate recruiting visits with admissions, student life, academic advisors and the athletic director.
2. Budgeting; assist Head Coach with the creation of and accurate management of the programs budget
3. Scheduling; assist Head Coach with scheduling of conference and non-conference
games/matches, and transportation/ accommodations for road games in coordination with the Head Coach and Athletic Director
4. Compliance; with all University, Conference and NAIA rules and regulations with the highest level of integrity
5. Assist; with planning, instruction, supervision of daily practices, coordinate use of weight room with athletic trainers and other coaches and off season training and conditioning
6. Monitor; and encourage academic progress of student athletes, assist with oversight of academic scheduling and a plan for graduation
7. Coordinate; and conduct scouting of opponents and film exchange
8. Communicate; effectively in oral and written English
9. Interact; and work effectively with colleagues, staff, faculty, administrators, students and others of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
10. Experience; and proven skills to effectively manage conflict
11. Ability; to preform and complete tasks in a timely manner
12. Mentor; assist Head Coach in the Champions of Character programing and development of Christ like character in student athletes
13. Community Service/Ministry opportunities; in coordination with the Head Coach, Student Life and the Athletic Departments provide and participate in community service and ministry opportunities for student athletes
14. Positively; represent the University at all contests, events and meetings
15. Fund raising; assist Head Coach and Athletic Director in specific fund raising efforts which include, but are not limited to the following: WJU Golf Classic, WJU Dinner/Events and Athletic publications
16. Public Relations; assist in the development of public relations with local constituencies aimed at gaining support for WJU athletic program as well as securing corporate sponsorships for the athletic program
17. Lead JV program as head coach is similar fashion.
18. Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Must hold and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Detail orientated
• Ability to meet deadlines in high paced work environment
• Excellent oral & written communication skills
• Collaborative leader
The employee agrees to promote the values and mission of WJU as a private Christ-centered University and live a life consistent with biblical principles. All employees of the University are expected to firmly support without reservation the William Jessup University statement of Christian faith.