Stanford University seeks a qualified individual for the full-time position of Assistant Director, Basketball Operations for Men’s Basketball. This position will work under the primary direction of the Director of Men’s Basketball Operations, with additional reporting responsibilities to the Financial Analyst for Sports Programs.
The Assistant Director is responsible for initiating and monitoring all financial transactions related to the Men’s Basketball program. These transactions include advances, reimbursements, other checks, requisitions, journals, p-card transactions, travel card transactions, petty cash and deposits. In addition, the Assistant Director will perform other financial functions for the program such as reconciling and reporting. The Assistant Director will also provide administrative support in all aspects for all program staff. The position must have a clear understanding of university policies and procedures and NCAA regulations to assure responsible decisions concerning the business of an intercollegiate basketball program.
Your responsibilities will include:
Accounting and Finance
- Initiate financial transactions for the Men’s Basketball program using correct transaction type; incorporate complete business description; use correct account, expense type, approval routing, and tax treatment; attach complete and correct backup information.
- Know/learn the business of the Men’s Basketball program and anticipate expenses.
- Monitor and follow up on transactions with internal and external vendors, DAPER administrators and coaches, University accounts payable, travel and reimbursement, procurement, etc. to ensure all transactions are fully completed in a timely manner. Proactively investigate unusual items.
- Resolve problems with vendors, coaches and administrators, central University units, etc. Understand when and to what level to escalate issues.
- Assistant Camp Director for Men’s Basketball Summer Camp program
- Answer questions regarding expense details as requested, including running reports in ReportMart3. Maintain supplemental budget tracking tools as requested by coaches and administrators.
- Assist with general analysis of DAPER expenditures, including preparing periodic reports.
Men’s Basketball Office
- Provide a warm reception, assistance and information to all visitors to the office
- Ensure all initial contact is appropriately directed and professionally handled.
- Oversee all aspects of office functionality by identifying resources necessary to continue business efficiency of program, including but not limited to maintenance of office equipment and scheduling university ITSS service for all computer or communication related problems.
- Provide support to all coaches and administrative staff; support includes but is not limited to screening phone calls and mail, reconciling recruiting expenses, monitoring all business details of program.
- Assist Head Men’s Basketball Coach with recruiting and travel details
- Prepare, monitor and receive officiating fees for game officials; checks must be available on game day.
- Implement mailing of game tickets to officials based on officiating schedule received from Pac 12 Office.
- Prepare requisitions for visiting team guarantee checks.
- Assist Director of Operations and travel agent in all aspects of team travel.
- Assist assistant coaches with management of recruiting database.
- Provide support to Director of External Relations in all aspects of donor relations.
- Update and prepare job descriptions as directed by Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
- Assist with camp and take an active role in increasing camp numbers
- Actively assembly, manage and grow data base of contact information of former players & assist w/ newsletter
- Be able to have other responsibilities based on the head coaches’ discretion.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- High School diploma or equivalent and two years’ work experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Basic understanding of finance and accounting principles.
- Understanding of the University’s financial systems (Oracle Financials) or other similar systems, preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills, good written and verbal communication skills, and a customer service orientation.
- Sound judgment and attention to detail in all facets of the job.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and operate in a busy work environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel.