Saint Anselm College, a private, liberal arts college in the Benedictine tradition, is seeking a full-time Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach. Reporting to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, the Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach will provide coaching expertise, leadership, management and administration of all aspects of a competitive NCAA program resulting in a positive and beneficial intercollegiate experience for student-athletes. The successful candidate will place highest priority on academic integrity and a commitment to student-athlete success on the field and in the classroom.
Essential Responsibilities and Position Accountabilities:
- Provide leadership, organization, supervision for all practices and varsity contests in conjunction with head coach.
- In conjunction with head coach, oversee and evaluate assistant coaches, student assistants, and volunteers.
- Organize and implement a successful recruiting program which attracts academically and athletically gifted prospects—with an unwavering commitment to retention, degree completion and academic success.
- Conduct all aspects of the program within the rules, regulations, and procedures of the NCAA, conference, athletic department policy manual and the College.
- Encourage and create an atmosphere of sportsmanship, professionalism and respect among the staff, coaches and student-athletes.
- Commitment to student-athlete safety and welfare as it pertains to all aspects of intercollegiate athletics.
- Manage team needs within parameters of annual budget; review all budget requests and projected fiscal needs.
- Schedule all team travel, practices and contests in accordance with college policies, conference scheduling guidelines and NCAA bylaws (under direction of head coach).
- Review student-athlete eligibility requirements to ensure full compliance with governing rules and regulations.
- Maintain a positive and constructive working relationship with College staff (Admission, Academic Resource Center, Student Affairs, etc.) and departmental staff to ensure an efficient and effective program.
- Represent the College at professional meetings, admissions events, alumni gatherings, campus activities, other athletic events and civic affairs.
- Encourage and administer an effective outreach program with student-athletes that provide benefits to the campus and surrounding communities.
- Develop, coordinate and oversee comprehensive camps/clinics to increase involvement and participation.
- Maintain relationships with parents, alumni, friends of the program, and others toward the positive image and promotion of the program and College.
- Attend and participate in all athletic department meetings and rules education sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Comprehensive understanding of multiple facets of NCAA athletics required. Bachelor’s degree required.
Excellence with interpersonal communications (written and oral) skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment is necessary. Ideal candidate will have excellent leadership and mentoring skills. Must be comfortable working in a flexible, team environment with a positive attitude and sense of humor. Unwavering commitment to academic integrity, inclusion, diversity, gender equity, student-athlete welfare and knowledge of NCAA and Title IX compliance.
Certifications, licenses, professional designations, or other qualifications required for this position include:
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- NCAA compliance background check
- Successful completion of annual coach’s exam per NCAA guidelines
- Successful completion of first aid, CPR and AED certifications
Successful candidates will be able to assist the college to further its strategic goals for institution-wide diversity and inclusiveness.