This position reports to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and the Athletics Director.
When assisting the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, any and/or all of the duties listed below are the responsibility of the position.
- Recruitment of prospective student-athletes (PSA).
- Recruit PSAs compatible with University’s mission and the specific goals of the Men’s Basketball program.
- Communicate with the PSAs and their families by phone, mail, and in person.
- Take recruiting trips (days and evenings) across the Midwest and beyond.
- Evaluation of prospective student-athletes (PSA).
- Through video and in person, watch and evaluate PSAs talent, skill level and overall fit for the Men’s Basketball program and University.
- Communicate effectively with PSA, families, coaches and others in connection with PSA to determine overall fit for the Men’s Basketball program and University.
- Administrative tasks assigned by the head coach include, but not limited to:
- Coordinate activities in preparation for scheduled competitions.
- Assist with practice, game and team event scheduling.
- Attend appropriate Athletics departmental staff meetings.
- Monitor student-athlete academic performance and implement team, Athletics department, and University measures to support their academic performance.
- Communicate with the student-athletes about academics and other matters pertaining to their enrollment and educational progress.
- Ensure appropriate safety measures are observed when conducting team activities.
- Assist in advising student-athletes and staff of applicable NCAA and basketball specific rules, regulations, and University policies and ensure compliance of such regulations.
- Work with alumni student groups, University administration, and community groups to seek support for the team.
- Assist with planning, marketing and working camps/clinics.
- Assist with game preparation and student-athlete basketball skill development.
- Attend all team practices and home and away games.
- Coordinate all activities in preparation for scheduled competition.
- Cooperate with the University Athletic Trainers to ensure student-athletes receive proper medical and physical training services.
- Assist the Head Coach in the review of practice and game video.
- Assist the Head Coach in creation of opponent scouting reports.
- Plan and direct athletics skill development for student-athletes.
- Assist the Head Coach in practice planning and execution of practice daily.
- Monitor designated in-season weight room training sessions.
- Assist Head Coach with other duties as assigned.
When assuming the responsibilities of the Athletic Department Diversity Coordinator, any and/or all of the duties listed below are the responsibility of the position.
- Work with the Athletic Director to be a diversity representative for athletics across campus.
- Partner with DEI office on campus and be the liaison between athletics and DEI.
- Report back to the Athletic staff the initiatives and activities happening across campus in terms of diversity, inclusion, and equality.
- Share diversity and inclusion programming and development opportunities with the athletic staff, and their student-athletes.
- Engagement with diverse stakeholders to promote inclusive engagement and belonging in the department.
- Supplement the departments recruiting efforts in adding diversity to the recruiting pools and rosters.
- Discuss strategies to help individual sports identify and recruit diverse student athletes.
- Help develop a plan for outreach to recruits that support the University’s outreach.
- Bring awareness to our athletic staff about the campus population, our athletic population, and how they match.
- Provide leadership opportunities in matters related to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Partner with the Athletic Director / DEI for opportunities for our student athletes and staff.
- Facilitate student attendance at local, regional, and national conference related to equity in athletics
- Assist the Athletic Director with other duties as assigned.
As part of the compensation package on campus housing and a meal plan will be provided. In order to receive this compensation, the following must be met:
- Complete all residential life training programs
- Attend weekly residential life staff meetings
- Participate in the 6 week on call rotation
- Participate in the opening and closing of on campus housing at the beginning and end of each term.