This is an exempt, non-faculty athletics instructional position.
The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach reports to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and is responsible for assisting the Coach in carrying out all activities necessary to accomplish the objectives of this sport within the guidelines of the NCAA, Atlantic Sun Conference (ASUN) and the University.
Austin Peay State University is a four-year public, doctoral-level university, with six colleges and four Chairs of Excellence. The University has an enrollment of over 10,000 students and is located in Clarksville, Tennessee, a community of an estimated 150,287 people located approximately 40 miles northwest of Nashville, TN.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate activities through the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
- Assist Head Coach in recruiting, instructing and retaining highly skilled student-athletes for the Basketball team.
- Serve as the Purchasing Coordinator for the men’s basketball program. Point person for all equipment, apparel and travel purchases.
- Provide instruction to basketball student-athletes on the fundamentals, details and strategies of basketball as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Strength and Conditioning liaison for the men’s basketball program. Coordinates and schedules appropriate workouts with the strength and conditioning coach. Ensures proper communication and compliance with NCAA and departmental rules.
- Academic services liaison for the men’s basketball program. Coordinates, schedules and communicates all necessary academic information to and from the men’s basketball student-athletes, coaches and Athletics Academic Staff.
- Adhere to all policies and regulations of the Director of Athletics, University, ASUN and NCAA.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of basketball.
- Counsel student athletes in sport participation, personal development and academics.
- Work with the Admissions Office to enroll student-athletes.
- Assist Admissions Office in recruiting on a limited basis.
- Assist in monitoring student-athlete’s academic progress.
- In consultation with University Advancement and the Athletic Director, assist in fundraising in both basketball and with major fund raisers in the Athletic Department.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to effectively teach fundamentals, position details and strategies of basketball during preparation and practice sessions.
- Ability to motivate teams to become successful.
- Ability to travel and recruit student athletes.
- Ability to learn and comply with all policies and regulations of the University, ASUN and NCAA.
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and SungardHE Banner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University community and the public.
- Ability to detect and correct grammatical and spelling errors in written correspondence.
- Ability to maintain files accurately, in paper and in software programs.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to achieve certification to drive student-athletes to team athletic events.
- Ability to scout opponents.
- Ability to work summer camps.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Playing or coaching experience at the college, university or professional level.
- Valid driver license.
- A proven record of integrity, high principles and demonstrated skill in developing and motivating student athletes academically and athletically.
- A background check will be required of the successful applicant.
- An official transcript and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required for the successful applicant.