Canisius College is accepting applications for an assistant coach for Men’s Basketball. Canisius is a member of the Division I Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The assistant basketball coach ensures that the Canisius men’s basketball program is administered with constant commitment to compliance with all institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations. This is a full-time position that reports to the Head Coach for Men’s Basketball.
- Instruct and evaluate well-prepared student-athletes.
- Organize and execute individual skill instruction and player development for players both on and off the court.
- Schedule and coordinate conditioning drills and workouts in conjunction with assigned strength training coach.
- Assist with academic advisement, monitoring and development of student-athletes.
- Recruit qualified student athletes for Canisius College men’s Basketball program:
- Identify and evaluate prospects.
- Establish and maintain contact with prospects, parents, and advisors per NCAA rules.
- Schedule official and unofficial visits.
- Assist with scouting opponents and game planning.
- Assist with team travel and recruiting trip arrangements.
- Assist with game scheduling as well as planning and scheduling practices.
- Assist with Canisius College men’s basketball clinics and/or camps.
- Ensure the men’s basketball program is administered with constant commitment to compliance with all institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Record all practice logs, recruits/recruiting activities in ARMS.
- Participate in department-wide staff compliance education and other meetings as requested by the Director of Athletics.
- Help maintain a positive working relationship throughout the college community.
- Maintain professional behavior and attitude when dealing with students, media, boosters as well as internal and external constituents.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree is preferred.
- Coaching and/or playing experience is required; coaching, playing, and/or recruiting experience at the Division I Level is preferred.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is required.
- Previous experience supervising, communicating with, and instructing student-athletes is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to work with a diverse population of student-athletes, parents, coaches, and administrators.
- Must have and maintain a valid Driver’s license with a positive driving record per the college’s insurance provider (with/or upon moving to NYS obtain a NYS driver’s license within NYS DMV residency guidelines after hire).