This full-time, year-round position provides an assistant coach for the men’s basketball program in athletics. This position will provide support in the overall organization and management of the men’s basketball program while reporting to the head men’s basketball coach. In accordance with the vision of the head coach, this individual will be responsible for all areas, including: coaching, practices & workouts, recruiting, scouting, scheduling, coordinating travel, planning and monitoring the men’s basketball budget, monitoring player academics, organizing and managing summer camps and clinics, monitoring NCAA compliance, promoting the men’s basketball program, developing fund-raising opportunities for the men’s basketball program and other duties assigned by the head men’s basketball coach and/or director of athletics.
- Coach student-athletes including coaching at all team practices, training sessions and scheduled games/competitions.
- Develop game preparation and strategy.
- Condition and develop student-athletes in order to develop skill, character and teamwork in men’s basketball in order to compete for conference and national championships.
- Recruit qualified prospective student-athletes in coordination with the strategic vision of the head coach.
- Monitor player academics including student-athlete welfare and encouraging academic excellence and graduation.
- Manage the men’s basketball program by planning and coordinating all practices, workouts and competitions, including staff assignments and position responsibilities.
- Ensuring that all University, conference and NCAA rules and regulations are followed including student-athlete eligibility, recruiting, financial aid, scheduling and academic progress.
- Managing the program’s operating budget through procurement requests and travel reimbursements; and developing and implementing fund-raising programs to supplement operating funds.
- Helps organize team camps and clinics; assists in promotions of the men’s basketball program and athletic department; serves on committees that promote the success of the program and athletics.
- Establishes and maintains community contacts that enhance the success of the program.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and/or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited four-year institution
- Two years of successful coaching (including graduate assistant coaching or volunteering) in the sport of basketball at the high school or collegiate level
- Master’s degree from accredited four-year institution.
- Demonstrated ability to coach successfully at the collegiate level in men’s basketball.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to motivate, teach and counsel student-athletes.
- Previous experience recruiting NCAA qualified student-athletes
- Experience with and commitment to working with diverse student populations.