The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach will assist the head coach in providing the vision, leadership, and strategic planning to direct and supervise all activities relative to recruitment, teaching, training, and skill development of scholar-athletes in preparation for intercollegiate competitions. All responsibilities of the assistant coach will support the University’s mission of providing high-quality education to a culturally diverse student body in order to prepare students for entering the global workforce, seeking higher-education opportunities, and serving within their communities. Florida Institute of Technology is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II and the Sunshine State Conference (SSC).
- Assist the head coach with all coaching duties; including planning and implementation of practice plans, scouting reports, game plans, and film breakdown as assigned by the head coach.
- Assist the head coach in developing, instructing, and teaching scholar-athletes fundamentals, technique, and strategy in order to motivate high level performance from individuals and, collectively, as a team.
- Assist with coordination of administrative operations such as compliance submissions and other required documentation, travel arrangements, equipment/supplies upkeep and orders, camp/clinic organization and implementation, community service, and fundraising as directed by the head coach.
- Assist the head coach with the evaluation and recruitment of athletically talented and academically qualified scholar-athletes in support of the University’s mission and philosophy.
- Monitor, oversee, and support scholar-athlete academic success and degree progress as directed by the head coach.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a good rapport and effective working relationship with scholar-athletes, coaches, administrators, faculty, alumni, and the general public.
- Acting as supervisor/head coach representative in the absence of the head coach, and perform other duties as assigned by the head coach or athletic administration.
- Responsible for demonstrating a commitment to and complying with the policies and guidelines established by the NCAA, Sunshine State Conference (SSC), University and Athletics Department for conducting all program activities.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent knowledge obtained through a combination of education, training, and experience).
- Minimum 0-2 years of relevant work experience required.
- Learned knowledge and skills to support variety of routine tasks requiring some degree of difficulty.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion on operational and personnel matters within their unit/functional area. Have authority to waive or deviate from established policies. Existing practices are used as guidelines to determine specific work methods and carries out work activities independently; escalates problems to executive as appropriate.