The part-time Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach at Gettysburg is responsible for assisting in all aspects of establishing and maintaining a successful NCAA Division III men’s basketball program, providing specialized expertise in their area of concentration and to support the successful development of student-athletes both in the classroom and on the court.
- Implements and maintains a standard of performance consistent with the College’s goals of academic and athletic excellence. Promotes academic achievement among athletes.
- Provides instruction, mentoring, coaching, evaluation of, and guidance to student-athletes to allow them to develop their athletic skills and abilities to maximum potential. Assists Head Coach in determining appropriate coaching methods and. Provides effective leadership, mentoring and supervision to student-athletes.
- Conducts programs within the rules and regulations of the NCAA, the Centennial Conference, and the governing body of the sport. Supports, monitors and applies relevant rules and regulations developed by the Athletic Department Compliance Office, including the Code of Conduct and sportsmanship guidelines.
- Cooperates with Health Services and Athletic Trainers to assure injured athletes receive proper treatment. Understands that all medical decisions related to a student athlete’s health and well being is the responsibility of the team physician and Certified Athletic Trainers and all final decisions regarding participation in practice and games lies with the medical staff. All known medical history related to injury or illness must be reported to the medical staff.
- Help assure facilities and equipment are prepared in advance of practice sessions and games/meets/matches. Report and monitor proper maintenance of equipment and practice and contest facilities to ensure safe playing conditions.
- Assists Head coach in developing and implementing recruiting strategies and programs to identify and attract promising athletes and provide prompt follow-up to inquiries from potential athletes.
- Participate in relevant training and professional development activities to enhance work-related skills and knowledge, including attending conferences as requested.
- High school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- One to three years experience coaching basketball
- Current CPR, AED, and first aid certification required.
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Must be certified to drive College vans per College policies.
- The ability and willingness to provide excellent service and to work in a collegial manner with students, faculty and staff, and other constituencies is essential.
- Evidence of commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Successful interview