The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor works under Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor providing support for the organization of the program and implementation of game and practice plans. This includes, but is not limited to communication with athletes, preparation of facilities, distribution and care of equipment, scouting opponents, and film breakdown. The Assistant will provide support for the player’s academic success, and track academic progress as needed. The Assistant may facilitate communication with a number of constituents which include faculty, academic advisors, assistant deans, and parents. Internally, the Assistant works with the Equipment and Facilities staff, Athletic Trainers, and Assistant ADs when necessary.
The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor will respond to the Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor directives and will be responsible for providing coaching instruction and administrative support to other coaches and administrative staff while ensuring compliance with all related governing bodies including the NCAA, OAC, and institutional regulations. The Assistant will also have designated responsibilities with the recruitment of prospective student athletes.
|Duties and Responsibilities
- The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor will help facilitate practice time to include such responsibilities as: implementing drills and game plans into practices, offering input for game strategies and provide advice for specific plays or game tactics. The Assistant will assist players in the learning process, and track of players’ punctuality and participation in practices when needed.
- Assist the lead instructor and coordinator in elements of practices and games to include preparation, effective execution of drills, one-on-one development work with athletes as warranted and fulfillment of game day responsibilities.
- Assist the Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor with the development of strategies for a successful program including well organized practice plans and participation in the development and execution of game strategies.
- Assist with the monitoring of academic progress and meet with individual student-athletes to ensure academic success and compliance with university and NCAA academic standards.
- Comply with the Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructors’ philosophy and assist with communicated this philosophy with all stakeholders.
- Assist with the evaluation and recruitment of prospective student-athletes, and the tracking of them through the SLATE system.
- Help coordinate official visit itineraries for prospective student-athletes in compliance with NCAA requirements.
- Assist in the development of community outreach programs, and promotional activities in collaboration with internal staff, and assist in approved fundraising activity as designated by the head coach.
- Represent department and institution to internal and external constituents.
- Help coordinate all administrative requirements for the team including: travel arrangements and itineraries; equipment and uniform purchases.
- Work in conjunction with the Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor and the Strength and Conditioning Instructor to design and implement targeted development and training programs appropriate to the specific needs of athletes and teams.
- Attend rules education, sessions and complete necessary forms for compliance upon request.
- Follow proper procedures for purchasing and resource allocation and monitor spending.
- Attend athletic department meetings and collaborate with the Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor and Athletic Director/Assistant Athletic Directors on schedules, programs and engagement.
- Participate in pre-season and post-season meetings and programs as appropriate.
- Assist to develop and provide instructor-led rules training to team, athletic department and others upon request.
- Responsible for positive public relations and communications with constituents.
- Follow all University and NCAA policies and regulations.
- Meet all deadlines for paperwork (i.e. rosters, physicals, official’s ratings, etc).
- Exhibit enthusiasm towards athletes and display respect for the entire program (i.e. officials, opponents, parents, schools, property, equipment, etc).
- Dress appropriately and professionally for games, practices, recruit/family visits and other school/athletic functions.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of one (1) year of collegiate coaching experience or two (2) years successful coaching experience as head or assistant coach at the high school level or equivalent experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain certifications in CPR and AED.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work independently.
- Ability to effectively communicate written and verbally with diverse constituencies.
- Familiarity and acumen with Adobe Photoshop and other digital media platforms.
- Must understand and comply with NCAA, conference, and University rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Interest in understanding and supporting John Carroll’s mission to inspire individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and in the world.