Assist the head coach in all phases of the program, complying with College, conference and NCAA rules and regulations. Supervise and manage the day to day operations of the athletic team, including teaching and coaching; provide leadership and support for the vision and strategies of the head coach. Contribute to the overall Athletics & Physical Education Department by teaching, tutoring, instructing, and/or lecturing students in the rules and fundamentals of the identified sport. May assist with recruiting and traveling with team.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with planning and executing all team practice sessions and competition.
- Scout future opponents by film, watching games, and/or telephone reports.
- Prepare and present scouting reports on future opponents.
- Provide consultation and advice to head coach and team members.
- Prepare, plan, conduct, and evaluate practice sessions in conjunction with head coach.
- Serve as mentor to athletes, helping resolve academic and non-academic issues. Monitor and counsel student-athletes regarding academic progress, etc.
- Teach assigned fundamentals, rules, and skills.
- Within the sport team, teach student-athletes and groups of player specific tasks and skills before, during and after practice.
- Teach progressions and drills during daily practice time.
- Teach advanced level skills and game strategies.
- Assist in the recruitment of quality student-athletes who fit the academic profile of the student body.
- Attend off-campus games for the purpose of evaluation and contact.
- Coordinate mailing of recruitment materials to prospective student-athletes and make phone contact with prospective student-athletes when appropriate.
- Plan campus visits with prospective student-athletes and their parents.
- Administer travel arrangements for team, including hotel accommodations, vans/cars, vans, airline travel reservations, etc. Follow Lewis & Clark procedures in handling any monies that flow through the athletic program.
- Interact with various campus offices, departments, as well as individual faculty and staff members.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community.
- Serve in a leadership role and promote participation in community service activities by student athletes.
- Assist in the formulation of team and department activities.
- Represent the team with the public, parents and alumni; act as a positive role model for players.
- Supervise and mentor student assistants and managers associated with the program.
- 1 year past playing and/or coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level
- Strong communication and motivational skills
- Demonstrate a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities and progression for student-athletes.
- Ability to identify athletic and academic talent
- Acceptance of all individuals and a commitment to valuing and helping create a diverse community.
- First Aid & CPR certification (provided annually by the department)
- Thorough understanding of NCAA Division III academic standards, admissions and financial aid procedures
- The successful candidate will possess a sound commitment to the academic and athletic mission of the College, along with the ability to teach, motivate, evaluate and recruit high caliber well-qualified student-athletes.
- Ability to honor and work with all identities and individuals, particularly those who are underrepresented in the country and/or at Lewis & Clark College.
Nice to Haves
- Experience teaching physical education activity classes.
- Preference will be given to candidates with coaching and recruiting experience at the intercollegiate level.
- 37.5 hours per week
- Benefits Eligible: Yes