The Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting with the overall organization, direction, supervision and administration of Mansfield University’s NCAA Division II Men’s basketball program by assisting the head men’s basketball coach in all aspects of daily operations of the program.
Description of Duties:
- Recruiting student athletes within the rules and philosophy of the NCAA, PSAC, and Mansfield University
- Practice and game day preparation; scouting opponents, evaluating personnel, and travel details.
- Promoting academic priorities to student athletes; monitoring study halls, and providing academic support to maintain eligible GPA
- Maintaining appropriate communication and positive relationships with students, other coaches, university staff, parents, and alumni.
All decision making and issues that arise should be transparent with head coach. The assistant and head coach will have open communication about all practice, game day and off the court decisions. If there are team, University, PSAC or NCAA violations, this should be directly communicated to the head coach
Organizes all travel items including meals, buses and hotels while staying under the budgeted amounts per trip. Manages fundraising camps and other events with supervision of the head coach. Stays within allotted budget during recruiting trips.
Acts as supervisor over men’s basketball student-athletes by adhering to position responsibilities and team rules. Oversees all work-study positions assigned to the men’s basketball program.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidates must: present excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; demonstrate the ability to recruit student athletes into a program committed to a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student athletes, as well as the importance of good citizenship both on and off the court; demonstrate a commitment to diversity; demonstrate the ability to recruit, develop, and motivate quality student-athletes; do individual workouts, have an understanding of NCAA rules and regulations and be committed to their implementation and observance; possess a working knowledge of word processing, email, and spreadsheets (Microsoft Word and Excel); and demonstrate, through past accomplishments and behaviors, the ability to support Mansfield University’s principles and values of Character, Scholarship, Culture, Service and the University’s
Bachelor’s degree; two years coaching experience at the high school or collegiate level; and completion of a successful interview. Certification in CPR and First Aid within six months of the commencement of employment and must maintain certification during employment. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Applicants will be rated on the following criteria:
- Previous playing and coaching experience at the high school or collegiate level.
- Ability to recruit, develop, and motivate quality student-athletes.
- Have an understanding of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Leadership abilities.
- Ability to conduct practice and individual instruction sessions.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
For full position, requirements and description, including application procedures, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/Mansfield. Completing search is contingent upon available funding. Last day to apply is July 30, 2018. EEO Employer.