Responsible for directing the Montana State University’s Basketball program in Bozeman, Montana. Responsibilities include: staff management, fiscal management, student-athlete welfare, academic integrity, public relations, sport-specific fund raising, rules compliance, and planning and implementation of practices and game strategies. The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach reports directly to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
- Promote the philosophy and objectives of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, including adhering to all Departmental, University, Big Sky Conference, and NCAA rules and regulations; cooperate with all coaches and administrative staff within the intercollegiate athletics programs to enhance overall departmental operations.
- Assist with scouting and recruitment of student-athletes, specifically with on- and off-campus visits of prospective student-athletes, as assigned.
- Assist in coaching student-athletes including evaluating their performance in practices and competition and providing leadership and instruction in areas of deficiencies, as required.
- Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters, including consulting with the Head Coach, the Academic coordinator, and the respective Sport Administrator and other university administrators to resolve problems.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent’s teams and assist in designing game plans and strategies. Attend coaches preparatory meetings and implement strategies resulting from these meetings. Assist with the development of schedules for practice and competition, as assigned, including interfacing with departmental administrators.
- Participate in public relations activities, as requested, including granting interviews with newspapers, radio and TV media, attending press conferences, and making public appearances. Consult with assigned sports information staff regarding game preparations and media relations. Represent the Department at professional, civic, charitable, and alumni events, as requested. with planning and coordinating approved fund raising activities, as assigned.
- Participate in clinics, exhibitions, and camps as approved.
- Perform all other duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Head Coach, the sport administrator, and/or the Director of Athletics.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Background of competition or coaching, in the sport for which application is being made, at the professional, collegiate, or high school level.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Collegiate coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level in the sport for which application is being made.
- Knowledge of/commitment to NCAA rules specifically regarding recruiting.
- Experience developing and motivating student-athletes for athletic and academic success.
- Demonstrated ability in coaching and in recruiting and monitoring for NCAA compliance at the NCAA Division I level.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts Montana State University’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.