The Assistant Men’s Basketball coach will help with all aspects of coaching, practice, game preparation, strategy and recruitment of prospective student-athletes, travel planning, and other administrative duties assigned by the head coach. Reports to the Director of Athletics and Recreation.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Train and develop the players by demonstrating technical expertise and teaching the fundamentals.
• Assist students in achieving academic success.
• Aid in coordinating fundraising activities.
• Set up film exchange.
• Contribute to game preparation through tape review, breakdown and scouting report preparation.
• Identify, attract and matriculate outstanding student-athletes to the university.
• Provide transformative learning opportunities that challenge and support students.
• Support student-athlete academic and athletic excellence, leadership development, team development, and community service.
• Develop positive public relations with all internal and external constituents.
• Complete Title IX Module.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge and skill in basketball.
• Ability to follow directions from head coach and relay to student-athletes.
• Knowledge of D-III rules and requirements.
• Excellent organizational, planning, supervisory and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong recruiting, teaching, and coaching skills.
• Ability to collaborate and communicate with a wide variety of students, parents, alumni, faculty, departmental staff, administration, and the general public.
• Ability to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse environment.
1. Experience in basketball.
2. Knowledge of D-III rules and requirements.
3. High school diploma or GED.
4. CPR/First Aid certification and may be obtained on the job.
5. Valid driver’s license (Must have a valid driver’s license for at least 2 years).
6. Finalist applicants must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check, pass PLU’s Driver Certification Training, and provide an original copy of their Driving Record (5-year Employment Abstract).
• Bachelor’s degree.
• College experience (coaching or playing).
• Previous recruiting experience at the collegiate level is highly desirable.