The Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach is responsible for coaching, character development, and providing direction to student-athletes so they may achieve a high level of skill and an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship, and teamwork in basketball.
In addition, the coach must assume a major role in fostering cooperation and positive teamwork, exhibit outstanding sportsmanship and fan involvement at games and special events, and, most importantly, assume a major role in the development of our youth as future leaders in God’s church and for The Kingdom. This job requires thoughtful and respectful interaction with student-athletes, fellow coaches, staff, parents, and the community. Positive communication strategies, organizational skills, and safety awareness are key requirements.
- Display a Christ-like character at all times.
- Recruit, train, and lead a competitive men’s basketball organization while cultivating a community of Christ-centered student-athletes.
- Follow and uphold the policies and mission statement of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and Spurgeon College.
- Plan, organize, and direct the Spurgeon College Men’s Basketball program.
- Recognize each player’s specific talent to devise play strategies and optimize athletic performance.
- Manage the Operating Budget accounts and adhere to the financial policies of Spurgeon College with regard to purchase orders, collection and disbursement of money, expenses, and receipts.
- Instruct and demonstrate skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team development.
- Ensure team rules and regulations regarding conduct and eligibility of the athletes are clearly communicated and followed.
- Plan, organize, advertise, and conduct tryouts for the basketball program; inform Athletic Department and participants of final selections. Maintain the integrity of the selection process. Provide information regarding rules for the season (daily doubles, all sports schedule, camp schedule, clinic schedule, try-out criteria, etc.).
- Responsible for purchase order requests for program uniforms, supplies, and equipment.
- Arrange and schedule bus transportation with the head coach. Must be licensed to drive school van/vehicle for travel to away games and other basketball events. Will travel with student athletes on the team bus both to and from competitions.
- Submit athletic rosters to the Athletic Department one week before the first game, any changes to student information on the roster, inventories, final season statistics and alphabetical list of award winners immediately following the season (list includes number of awards and the class of the athlete).
- Ensure the proper forms (insurance, attendance, medical) are obtained and current and all student athletes are academically eligible.
- Check and secure all offices, storage rooms, outside doors, locker rooms, and lights after last player leaves following games and practices.
- Consult with the Athletic Director regarding any off-season training programs including scheduling dates for summer camps/practices, uniform fitting, pre-post tryout informational parent meetings.
- Conduct informational parent meetings at the beginning of each season for all levels. Organize a parent volunteer group to help with snack bar, parties, team meals, end of the year banquet, etc.
- Creates a safe environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Maintain strong Interpersonal skills: Work well with others from diverse backgrounds. Focus on solving conflict, maintain confidentiality, listen to others, keep emotions under control, remain open to others’ ideas, and contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Work directly with school athletic trainer to report injuries, teach precautions and procedures to ensure staff/student safety and help students prevent injuries.
- Model good sportsmanship behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards opposing team, fans, parents, officials, spectators, and community.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
Include, but not limited to:
- Christian with high integrity, actively pursuing a relationship with God
- Ability to organize and supervise the Spurgeon College Men’s Basketball program.
- Previous coaching experience is required, preferably at a higher education level.
- Knowledge of technical aspects of the assigned sport and willingness to continue to learn and examine new ideas pertinent to the assigned sport.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be experienced with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Familiar with and able to navigate recruiting websites
- Positive attitude with a desire and willingness to learn
- Able to multi-task, analyze workload, and prioritize as necessary for the benefit of the department
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be able to pass a background screening, including driving record
- Eligible to work in the United States