The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach with the basketball program; provides instruction, demonstration, evaluation and teaching of sport to assure individual student athletes and team reaches maximum potential. Assist with administrative duties as assigned. The selected candidate will subscribe to and support our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) as stated above. If this job description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- One year of basketball coaching/teaching/playing experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
- Travel required with assigned sport
- Working nights, weekends, and holidays as required to complete assigned tasks
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree
- Previous Division I college coaching experience
- Coaching – At the direction of the head coach, provide instruction, demonstration and teaching the sport’s dynamics to student-athletes to ensure the maximum potential of individuals and the team as a whole. Assistants in coaching team during scheduled events. Assists with the development and implementation of strategy to obtain maximum level of team and individual performance..
- Recruiting – Scouts and recruits prospective student-athletes from high schools, junior and community colleges. Makes recommendation to the head coach regarding potential of student-athlete. At the direction of the Head Coach, works with Scholastic Supervisors and Coordinator for Student-Athlete Services to determine each student s academic qualifications and suitability for admission, assists in making application.
- Administration – Performs administrative duties as assigned by Head Coach. These duties may include, but are not limited to: coordinating and arranging team travel, coordinating and arranging competitive schedule, organizing and scheduling practice sessions, updating and maintaining student-athlete recruiting databases, updating and maintaining files (both hard copy and video) of opponents, developing and distributing scouting reports on opponents, analyzing opponents film and scouting reports, assisting in the requisitioning and purchasing of uniforms and equipment, organizing on-campus visits by prospective student-athletes (both official and unofficial).
- Academics – At the direction of the Head Coach, works closely with Scholastic Supervisor to monitor the scholastic progress of each student-athlete. Assists in enforcement of mandatory study programs for freshman and upper classmen having academic difficulties; enforces Athletic Department requirements for class attendance, make-up course work, etc.
- Compliance – Maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable NCAA, Conference and University rules and regulations. Establishes and ensures communication and enforcement of rules and regulations concerning student-athletes: conduct, appearance, road games, punctuality and other areas as deemed appropriate. Maintains awareness of and supports the diversity and inclusion initiatives of the Athletics Department.
- Public Relations – Participates in media-related activities including newspaper, television, radio interviews and new conferences. Accepts speaking engagements and makes public appearances at schools, Aggie Clubs, banquets and civic organizations. Performs other duties as assigned.