The men’s Assistant Basketball Coach is a full-time staff position in the Vanguard University intercollegiate Athletic Department. This position reports directly to the Head men’s Basketball Coach.
- Provide leadership and help oversee the direction and development of the basketball program in accordance with the direction and philosophy of the Head Basketball Coach.
- Assist in coaching and the evaluation of student athletes.
- Assist with the recruitment of student athletes.
- Help manage the basketball budget and scholarship funds.
- Assist in the planning and scheduling of appropriate practice sessions and games.
- Assist in the development of game strategy.
- Assist in the assessment and scouting of future opponents and the preparation of scouting reports.
- Provide for the well-being of the student-athletes in the program, physically, spiritually, academically, and emotionally.
- Assist with the Vanguard University Program Center for Character in the development of the Vanguard University student athletes and the community at large.
- Serve as a role model and provide spiritual leadership to the student athletes.
- Represent the institution well at all times.
- Know and understand all NAIA and GSAC eligibility rules and guidelines.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Vanguard University Athletic Department.
- Assist in the organization and development of a sports camp in basketball.
- Perform other duties necessary for the day-to-day operation of a quality basketball program.
- Perform additional duties and assignments as designated by the Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated successful coaching at the high school, community college or college level.
- At least three years of college coaching experience required or the equivalent thereof.
- A desire to be involved in a strong faith based institution with an understanding of and appreciation for the Christian worldview.
- Strong communicative and interpersonal skills for recruitment, advisement and retention of student-athletes.
- Knowledge and acceptance of principles and philosophies of Vanguard University.
Applicant should submit a completed VUSC Application for Staff Employment and current resume. All applications/resumes/materials must be submitted electronically via e-mail to: [email protected] . We are located at: Vanguard University of Southern California, 55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Applications will be received until position is filled or until a sufficient number of applications are received.