The Phoenix Suns seek a Basketball Operations Analytics Intern to perform reporting and analysis in support of all aspects of basketball decision making.
Primary (Essential) Duties
- Assist with design and execution of rigorous statistical analyses in support of Basketball Operations decision making. Analyses may include prediction of future player performance, quantification of player contributions to team performance, and assessment of team/player matchups for use in game preparation.
- Design, build, and maintain “advanced stats” reports for use by staff in game preparation.
- Perform exploratory analysis of new data sources to assess data quality and applicability in Basketball Operations decision making.
- Keep abreast of latest developments and advances in sports analytics through research papers, blogs, and conferences.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Interest in basketball and familiarity with basketball terminology and advanced statistics
- Expertise in statistical analysis and data mining techniques (e.g. regression, clustering, factor analysis, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to transform complex analyses into actionable results and recommendations
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience with analyzing large data sets is a plus
- Demonstrated technical expertise in SQL
- Experience with statistical programming languages (e.g. R or Python)
- Experience with web development frameworks (e.g. Node.js or Flask) is a plus
- 1-3 years of successful experience in a management science, business analyst, or similar role
- Bachelor’s degree required in Statistics, Computer Science, or similar field. Advanced degree is a plus.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Traditional business hours with occasional weekends, evenings, some holidays and some overtime to meet business needs
- Internship meets requirements for academic credit in most college internship programs
- Reimbursed travel expenses to and from Phoenix, Arizona