Grand Canyon University Athletics is now accepting applications for the positon of Director of Basketball Student-Athlete Development. This position will provide primary academic support, counseling, and guidance in course selection, degree requirements, career planning, and programming for men’s basketball, working collaboratively with other University Academic Support Services. This position requires consistent and open communication with coaches, administrators, support and OSAD staff, as well as a thorough understanding of NCAA and Western Athletic Conference guidelines and regulations. The position will report directly to the Senior Associate Athletic Director, Student-Athlete Development.
- Assist in the day-to-day comprehensive support of Basketball Student-Athlete Development.
- Provide proactive, intense academic support to men’s basketball student-athletes, including counseling and advising academically unprepared and at-risk student-athletes.
- Collaborate with learning specialist regarding a caseload of high risk student-athletes in the Specialized Learning Services program.
- Work one-on-one to develop and implement learning strategies and effective study stills within the framework of the students’ academic and athletic time demands.
- Monitor academic performance, prepare and implement individualized plans for at-risk student athletes, and ensure student-athletes meet institutional and NCAA eligibility requirements.
- Facilitate study hall as assigned, in collaboration with men’s basketball staff.
- Help monitor men’s basketball student-athlete class attendance.
- Schedule subject-specific tutor and academic mentor appointments.
- Gather data, organize information, and prepare weekly coaches’ reports for men’s basketball staff and administration.
- Assist with registration process, certification for competition, and Academic Progress Rate (APR) data collection.
- Evaluate prospective student-athlete transcripts and/or records.
- Assist with student-athlete development workshops and events, meet with recruits and their families on official visits, plan special events, and host honorary coaches for select games.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Counseling, Sports Administration, or related field.
- Previous experience working with students at the collegiate level, preferably in an intercollegiate athletics environment, and must possess the ability to clearly establish, monitor, and maintain appropriate boundaries with student-athletes.
- Working knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with academically challenged or at-risk students.
- Strong organizational skills, effective interpersonal skills, problem-solving ability, time management skills, attention to detail.
- Proficiency with computer software including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and GradesFirst or similar database is preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse population of students, coaches, staff, and university administrators.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Master’s Degree preferably in the field of Education, Counseling and/or Sports Administration.
- Experience in a student-athlete advising environment working with basketball and/or football student-athletes.
- Experience in using degree audit reports and student information systems.
- Experience as a former student-athlete.