The Graduate Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach will assist in all aspects of a competitive men’s basketball program and is responsible for, but not limited to: the integration of Christian faith, and the recruitment, retention and academic success of student-athletes. Priority will be given to candidates with experience in college basketball and recruiting; strong people skills; Experience in player development and strength and conditioning is preferred. A basic understanding of film break down and exchange software is essential to this position. In addition to coaching, this position requires assistance in multiple aspects of team management, including budgeting, facilities management, academic support, and retention of quality student athletes. This position will be responsible to maintain compliance with all Montreat College, Appalachian Athletic Conference, and NAIA bylaws.
- Assist the head coach with recruiting efforts for Men’s Basketball program; recruiting student athletes for the athletic team who will represent the mission of Montreat College.
- Assist in the developing, implementing and evaluating game plan and strategies.
- Plan comprehensive training plans for student-athletes.
- Assist in operational procedures including scheduling, travel, budget management, and statistics.
- Attend departmental meetings upon request.
- Be familiar with and adhere to departmental policies and procedures as well as NAIA and AAC bylaws.
- Participate in the college and departmental activities as needed.
- Assist in driving team vans/mini-buses to and from team functions/games.
- Be responsible for the conduct of athletes, both on and off the court.
- Actively participate with all athletic fundraising programs as needed.
- Communicate the needs and maintenance of facilities and equipment to the head coach.
- Assist with travel and facilities management for the Men’s Basketball program.
- Run individual and group practices as needed.
- Keep all social media platforms current and relevant.
- Oversee student managers.
- Facilitate all strength and conditioning sessions that are programmed by the head coach.
- Program and facilitate skill development sessions.
- Other duties as assigned by the head coach and/or athletic director.
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent oral communication and relationship skills
- Excellent recruiting skills to meet annual roster expectations
- Efficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Office, Excel, Synergy,etc.)
- Ability to read, understand, and apply instructions
- Hear and understand telephone conversations
- Ability to coordinate different tasks simultaneously
- Move about the campus freely (including all facilities)
- Working knowledge of game/facility preparation
- Work closely with the Admissions and Financial Aid office.
- Set goals and objectives based on the needs and capabilities of the population served
- Articulate and promote student learning and development in the following areas:
- Athletic Excellence
- Prescribe and practice ethical behavior
- Where appropriate, recruit, select, supervise, and develop others in the organization
- Manage financial resources
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution is required. Must support and affirm the College’s faith statement and Community Life Covenant: https://www.montreat.edu/about/mission/
The Graduate Assistant Coach reports to the Head Coach and Athletic Director.