The Men’s Basketball Graduate Assistantship is designed to provide a learning experience for those interested in pursuing a career in coaching/college athletics. This person shall assist in day-to-day team operations. Working nights, weekends, and holidays is an essential function of this position.
This position is responsible for cultivating and maintaining the institution’s Catholic identity and its mission to empower graduates to transform society. As a member of the Newman community, the staff member will join with the institution’s sponsors, the Adorers of the Blood of Christ (ASC Sisters), to witness God’s love in Mission to empower others, foster oneness, celebrate life, form right relationships, and walk as compassionate companions. Additionally, this position contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other faiths, cultures, or backgrounds.
- Develop relationships with coaching staff and team members in order to assist with the operations of the team.
- Assist the head coach in planning and running team training sessions.
- Assist with recording and reviewing games/practices.
- Assist with scouting reports and recruiting efforts.
- Assist with necessary paperwork and expense reporting.
- Assist with coordination of travel planning and scheduling.
- Coordination of mentoring, tutoring, or other assistance needed by athletes.
- Conduct oneself in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
- Develop and demonstrate a working knowledge of the NCAA compliance rules.
- Complete all University-required trainings including FERPA and Title IX.
- Contribute to the overall success of the Newman Athletics Department by performing all other duties as assigned and appropriate to the position.
- Completion of Bachelor’s Degree.
- Must be accepted and enrolled full time (at least six (6) credit hours per semester) in a Master’s degree program (M.S.E. Organizational Leadership preferred) during the academic year (fall and spring semester).
- Previous experience in a college athletic setting.
- Genuine interest in and willingness to work with students; understanding of student attitudes, concerns and problems.
- Ability to exercise basic human relations skills in directing and motivating staff, and dealing with varied constituencies on and off campus.
- Strong organizational and computer skills.
- Experience with social media, video, and photo editing preferred.
- AED and/or CPR training preferred.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- This is a 12-month live-in position. Contract must be renewed each year.
- $2,000.00 stipend paid over 12 months
- Furnished room and free cable and internet access through the campus network
- Board (meals only offered when dining hall is open for traditional students)
- Eligible for fall, spring, and summer tuition waiver. The student is responsible for payment of books, general fees, parking, and living expenses. Must follow tuition waiver policy and submittal deadlines.
- Graduate Assistant for Athletics may not hold other full-time employment. Other part-time employment in or outside the University must receive prior approval from the Director of Athletics.
- Tuition remission scholarships are dependent upon enrollment in the course(s) by regular, tuition-paying students. The university reserves the right to move classes from the face-to-face modality to the online modality in order to ensure a reasonable minimum class size is met. Tuition remission scholarships do not guarantee that any course will be available in any given modality. If space is limited in any class, persons using any tuition benefit scholarships may be enrolled in the order in which they registered for the class.
- As a condition for retention in the role, the Graduate Assistant must remain in good academic standing, which is a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
- A criminal background check will be performed prior to employment offer.