The Head Men’s Basketball Coach reports to the Athletic Director and is responsible for planning and administering all aspects of the men’s basketball program, under the direction of the Athletic Director. Directs, provides leadership, and oversees all coaching duties for the Basketball Program operating under NCAA Division I bylaws and regulations. Directs and coordinates all aspects of recruitment and training for athletic competition, and oversees the planning and fiscal management of program activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain a competitive NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Program
- Recruit and retain qualified student-athletes.
- Mentor student-athletes in their academic success and timely progress toward degree completion.
- Direct the men’s basketball program within all NCAA and Conference rules and regulations as well as the state, university and departmental policies, procedures and regulations.
- Coordinates all strategic aspects of the specific sports program.
- Represents sports program to various institutional programs and externally to media, government agencies, funding agencies, students, parents, and the general public.
- Manages daily operations of the athletic program; directs, supervises, and coordinates all administrative facets.
- Oversees all aspects of the financial operation of the athletic program.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Coordinate Fundraising initiatives that include camps and clinics for the community at large.
- Develop strategies to ensure the appropriate personal and social conduct on and off campus of the men’s basketball student-athletes under the head coach’s supervision.
- Develop strategies to ensure the establishment of a safe environment for student athlete.
Minimum Position Requirements (including certifications, licenses, etc.):
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of Division I experience is preferred with a minimum of 3 years NCAA Division I Basketball experience required.
- Successful record of proven coaching ability.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain qualified student-athletes (Academic Progress Rates (APR) and to facilitate timely progress toward graduation.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds within the community.
- Demonstrated ability to operate an intercollegiate basketball program within budget parameters.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of NCAA Division I rules and regulations and sound human relations skills in dealing with student-athletes, university personnel, corporate sponsors, boosters, alumni and members of the off-campus community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work with students, faculty and staff while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Ability to work under possible adverse circumstances