UNT competes as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and C-USA. North Texas’ athletic programs are classified as NCAA Division I, the largest and highest division among all colleges and universities. The 46,000 square-foot Athletic Center located off South Bonnie Brae Street is the centerpiece of North Texas athletics. Athletics strives to conduct a competitive athletics program that promotes faculty, staff, student and community affiliation and participation with North Texas Athletics. Also, to provide facilities which attract the highest level of talent and allow student athletes to perform at the highest level in practice and in competition.
Under direct supervision of the Vice President/Director of Athletics, the Head Coach is responsible for management and administration of all phases of varsity intercollegiate sports program and team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Manages team of respective sport to ensure competitive performance of team and satisfactory growth and development of student-athletes.
* Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions daily or several times weekly during season.
* Coaches the team during scheduled events.
* Maintains detailed statistics and records, evaluation reports, etc. for each student-athlete.
* Determines and implements strategy to obtain maximum team level and individual performance.
* Determines competitive event schedule (may be years in advance), coordinating with teams both inside and out of the Conference.
* Recommends participation in post-season games when invitations are received.
* Maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable NCAA, Conference, and University rules and regulations, and complies with same.
* Scouts and recruits prospective student-athletes from high school and two-year colleges.
* Coordinates all phases of recruiting activities.
* Works with the Academic Counselor to determine prospect’s academic qualifications and suitability for admission, assists the prospect in making application, and recommends grants-in-aid.
* Supervises all contact with prospective student-athletes to avoid violations of NCAA and other recruiting rules and regulations.
* Works closely with Academic Counselor to monitor the scholastic progress of each student-athlete.
* Develops and implements programs to inform students of all University resources available to help them.
* Assists in enforcement of mandatory study hall program for Freshman and Upperclassmen having academic difficulties; enforce Athletics Department requirements for class attendance, make-up work, etc.
* Establishes and ensures communication and enforcement of rules and regulations concerning student conduct, appearance, punctuality, and other areas as appropriate.
* Consults with the athletics trainers and physicians to determine team and individual welfare and conditioning programs.
* Provides individual counseling to student-athletes as needed on personal problems, team performance, or transition to college life.
* Responsible for the maintenance of the budget of their sports program, including the completion of all necessary forms and paperwork for team travel, individual travel, and recruit travel.
* Conducts long range planning studies to determine facilities requirements and revenue producing options.
* Participates in public relations activities including newspaper, television, and radio interviews and news conferences to promote a positive image of the Athletics Department and the University.
* May serve on committees or boards for the NCAA, Conference, University, or other related organizations.