The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Keeping current with the basketball related rules and regulations of NJCAA, ACCC, and the Alabama State Board of Education.
2. Helping to ensure that the College’s basketball program stays in full compliance with the basketball related rules and regulations of NJCAA, ACCC, and the Alabama State Board of Education.
3. Keeping the Athletic Director informed of all aspects of the basketball team’s needs.
4. Recruiting and signing new athletes to represent Alabama Southern Community College.
5. Attending the divisional, state, and regional meetings that relate to the basketball team.
6. Working with student-athletes and faculty in registration, scheduling classes, and monitoring academic progress.
7. Teaching all players and other team staff the importance of good sportsmanship and related ethical behavior.
8. Advising, monitoring, and coordinating Academic Success programs.
9. Completing and submitting all players’ eligibility reports and forms in a timely manner so there is no doubt that said reports will be received prior to the prescribed deadline.
10. Developing and establishing institutional programs such as camps, clinics, and leagues designed for coaches, athletes, and prospective recruits as approved by the Athletic Director.
11. Obtaining prior written approvals from the Athletic Director and President for the purchasing of uniforms, equipment, or other items or services that will reflect on the image of the College.
12. Developing applicable computer skills to conduct team and player record keeping
13. Coordinating the day-to-day operations of the basketball program, including but not limited to: scheduling of practices and games; securing game officials; recruiting; purchasing and maintaining equipment, uniforms and supplies; completing necessary paperwork; and being present at required meetings and college functions.
14. Ensuring that basketball courts and related playing and viewing areas are properly maintained.
15. Securing game officials in accordance with the requirements of NJCAA and ACCAA.
16. Serving on and providing information to College committees as needed.
17. Assisting in recruitment and retention of students.
18. Working closely with the College administration on the development of annual budgets for approval by the President.
19. Maintaining an excellent working relationship with