Head Coach for WCC B-TEAM
Washtenaw Community College is looking for a Men’s Basketball Coach for the B Team. This position is responsible for instructing and educating a men’s B team on the game of basketball as well as teaching and demonstrating fundamentals of sports, sportsmanship, teamwork, and time management while communicating the importance of co-curricular learning. Time Commitment: Practices on Wednesdays from 9:30pm-11:00pm and Saturdays from 6:30-8:00pm from November-March with games on Sundays from December-March.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
– Conduct two tryout sessions and select a competition squad.
– Plan for and conduct regular practice sessions.
– Attend all competitions and practices.
– Maintain knowledge of game, rules, and skills necessary for the sport.
– Advise team in sports rules, game strategies, and performance principles.
– Concentrate on the improvement of players while still keeping participation fun for all students.
– Determine the game line up and make changes as needed. Ensure all players that were chosen have the opportunity to play.
– Instruct players during game play and conduct pre-game and post-game procedures
– Communicate professionally with game officials.
– Ensure players conduct themselves in accordance with WCC students’ rights and responsibilities and the Club Sports Handbook.
– Provide basic first aid in the event of an emergency; always take measures to reduce the risk of injury during sporting events.
– Responsible for maintaining college issued equipment.
– Using the arena of sports, educate players about the value of discipline, time management, team work, and the value of academic success.
– All others as assigned by the coordinator.
– In cooperation with the WCC Sports Office, communicate with players and spectators regarding schedules and changes. Coaches are to be liaisons between the team and the Club Sports Coordinator.
– Refer questions or concerns to the Sports Office.
– Provide the Sports Office with necessary player paperwork, including waivers.
– Responsible for requesting, maintaining and distributing, as necessary, all game related reports to the Sports Office and other entities as required.
– Return calls and answer student interest questions.
– Report scores within 24 hours of a competition to the Sports Office.
– May be asked to assist with recruitment that must be first approved by the Club Sports Coordinator.
– Understand the guidelines presented in the Club Sports Handbook and follow them at all times.
– Make sure facilities are left clean and organized after each use.
– Assist with end of season re-cap.
– Two (2) years coaching and two (2) years basketball playing experience preferred.
– Knowledge of rules and skills of particular sport.
– Willingness to place emphasis on the studies first and athletics second.
– First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
– Willingness to assist in approved marketing and recruiting of current WCC students.