Adams State University is seeking a Head Men’s Basketball Coach. The fundamental responsibilities of the Head Coach position include coaching, organizing and successfully directing the Men’s Basketball program. The primary duty of each Head Coach is to teach, instruct and impart their knowledge of the sport to their student-athletes. Head Coaches at Adams State University will demonstrate commitment to and exemplify the University and Athletic Department Mission.
- The head coach should demonstrate commitment to and exemplify the University and Athletic Department Mission. Specific Responsibilities
- The Head Coach should demonstrate an ability to identify and recruit quality student-athletes in the Colorado region and beyond
- The Head Coach should be committed to running a long-term successful and stable program
- The Head Coach should be committed to skill development
- The Head Coach Coaches shall promote and enforce policies and practices that support the academic success of all student–athletes and their progress toward graduation. The Head Coach will use care with all scheduling decisions to provide a quality experience for the student-athletes on their team and be mindful of the academic calendar and requirements. The Head Coach shall actively promote the good health and well-being of student-athletes, deferring to the judgment of trainers and other medical advisors regarding a student-athlete’s ability to participate in any athletic activity
- The Head Coach shall serve as a key mentor in the lives and careers of their student-athletes, motivating them to be successful academically, athletically, and in their personal lives.
- The Head Coach will manage the day-to-day operations, practice, game preparation, and team travel and will mentor, develop and evaluate assistant staff members of their program. The Head Coach will encourage community service amongst their student-athletes as it helps build empathy and compassion and provides skills such as networking, organization, project management, team building, and problem-solving — all skills that are essential in today’s workforce. The Head Coach will manage the budget under their control with efficiency and prudence.
- The Head Coach and staff will avoid the intent and appearance of unethical or compromising practices in relationships, actions, and communications.
- The Head Coach will be certified through the NCAA DII Universe prior to any off-campus recruiting and adhere to NCAA Division II Rules and compliance
- The Head Coach will have a duty to cooperate with and furnish the NCAA, the conference office, or the institution with truthful and complete information concerning involvement in or knowledge of rules violations.
- The Head Coach will regularly participate in rules education. Satisfactory rules knowledge and documenting compliance activities are mandatory and athletics personnel will be evaluated on their performance.
- The Head Coach is required to submit prospect lists and recruiting forms in a timely manner – no later than the 5th of each month
- The Head Coach shall provide instruction in the rules, standards, policies, and requirements applicable to participants, the policies of Adams State University, the requirements of the NCAA, RMAC or other applicable conferences, and other sports and academic organizations and applicable laws. The Head Coach is considered a Responsible Employee under Title IX and as such has the duty to report any incidents that may fall under Title IX’s purview. The Head Coach is accountable for inventory control of equipment and apparel
- The Head Coach will manage the budget under their control with efficiency and prudence. The Head Coach and staff will avoid the intent and appearance of unethical or compromising practices in relationships, actions, and communications.
- The Head Coach will demonstrate loyalty to the State of Colorado and Adams State University by diligently following the lawful instructions of the State of Colorado while using professional judgment, reasonable care, and exercising only the authority granted.
- The Head Coach is accountable for inventory control of equipment and apparel
- The Head Coach serves in a uniquely public role and therefore shall set high standards in their professional conduct. They shall conduct themselves so as to avoid improper conduct relative to their coaching responsibilities, or to their role as a university representative.
- The Head Coach will develop and maintain a positive relationship with Adams State University Alumni and Grizzly Club Members, keeping in mind that they serve a position of vital importance to the success of our athletic programs.