Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, is responsible for the management of all operational activities of a Division II sports program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Executes all responsibilities as a Head Coach in a manner that reflects an ongoing commitment to the excellence, integrity and success of the program, Department of Athletics and Albany State University.
- Prepares and organizes daily practice sessions, game preparation for competition and off-season training.
- Recommends and prepares all schedules for home tournaments and onconference games to the Director of Athletics or direct report.
- Organizes and administrates the recruiting of prospective student-athletes in accordance with the NCAA, SIAC and Albany State University policies and procedures.
- Organizes and directs the coaching staff to carry out the goals and objectives of the program.
- Responsible for the management of the program’s budget and ensuring it balances each fiscal year.
- Recommends personnel, financial and facilities requirements for the program to the Director of Athletics.
- Engages in regular consultation with athletic training and other department sports medicine personnel to maximize the safety and wellness of student-athletes.
- Demonstrates concern for the overall welfare of the students at all times. Recommends scholarship awards for student-athletes to the Director of Athletics.
- Responsible for working in conjunction with athletics administration for tracking the admissions and eligibility process involving recruited student-athletes.
- Responsible for working collaboratively with the Compliance Officer in this regard.
- Responsible for monitoring and supporting the student-athletes academic progress in consultation and coordination with the Academic Support staff.
- Responsible for complying with the rules and regulations of the NCAA, SIAC, Albany State University and the University of Georgia System.
- Responsible for assisting and supporting the Department of Athletics in administration and operations.
- Prepares and participates in camps and clinics as needed.
- Actively participates and assists in promotional, marketing, public relations and fundraising activities for the program and the department.
- Promotes a culture of outstanding sportsmanship.
- Demonstrates through actions and communicates a respect for diversity and cross-cultural differences.
- Attend and/or participate in all required conference meetings and events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Required
- Master’s Preferred
- Five (5) years of experience