The Athletics department at Bard College seeks a Head Men’s Basketball Coach. The Head Men’s Basketball Coach reports to the Director of Athletics on all matters related to the responsibilities listed below. The individual is a member of the College’s Student Services staff and participates in related meetings and on select committees. The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion. This is a full-time, year-round position on our campus in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY.
- The Head Men’s Basketball Coach recruits, instructs, and leads student-athletes within the philosophy of the College, Athletic Department, Liberty League, and NCAA Division III, and ensures a safe, equitable, positive environment for all student-athletes on the team to develop and improve both individually and collectively.
- Recruits an academically qualified, diverse, engaged, and enthusiastic roster of student-athletes through travel to events, phone calls, email, social media, and other means and platforms.
- Utilizes ARI, the department’s recruiting software, and regularly interacts with the Bard Admission office.
- Assists student-athletes in the process of navigating college, including academic, athletic, social, and other concerns.
- Communicates issues to department staff and Bard Student Services staff as necessary.
- Trains and prepares student-athletes for intercollegiate competition through practices, video review, and other means.
- Attends all contests, accompanies the team on trips, and assumes responsibility for the management and conduct of the team on and off the court.
- Ensures the safety and health of student-athletes in coordination with Athletic Trainers. Supervises and directs coaching staff on all team matters.
- Ensures that all department, college, league, and NCAA rules and regulations are understood and followed by student-athletes and coaching staff.
- Attends coaches’ meetings and other events as required.
- Works with the department’s Business Manager on all items related to the program’s budget, including team travel, equipment and gear, recruiting, and other expenses.
- Responsible for the maintenance and care of program inventory, including uniforms and equipment, and upkeep and presentation of the Stevenson Gymnasium.
- Assists department in revisions in areas of gym and facility safety, program risk management, policy making and staffing development.
Requirements for Head Coach
- Experience as a player or coach is necessary, including having worked effectively with student-athletes from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in college athletics recruiting is desired.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule and travel outside of 100-mile radius as required.