The Head Men’s Basketball Coach is responsible for all facets of Eckerd College’s NCAA Division II Men’s Basketball program up to and including the instruction, supervision, safety and general welfare of the student-athletes with the goal of providing athletic and academic opportunities for student development in conjunction with the mission of the College. The mission of the Intercollegiate Athletics program is to act in partnership with the academic program, recreation and other offices of the Student Life division to provide the best possible student experience and to maximize the opportunities for learning at the undergraduate level. The purpose of intercollegiate athletics at Eckerd College is to provide the student-athlete with opportunities for self-testing, skill development and the pursuit of excellence commensurate with that expected in the classroom.
● Manage all day-to-day operations of the Men’s Basketball program.
● Plan and implement daily training of men’s basketball players.
● Lead and coach the Eckerd Men’s Basketball team in contests.
● Hire, supervise and assign responsibilities to the full-time Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach.
● Recruit, train and assign responsibilities to volunteer coaching staff and student assistants.
● Plan for and supervise team travel.
● Organize and coordinate all recruitment of men’s basketball players in close concert with the College’s Admission Office and within the guidelines and policies established by the NCAA.
● Stay in close contact with the academic progress of men’s basketball players, and provide for academic assistance and tutoring when necessary.
● Be responsible for citizenship and character development of men’s basketball players.
● Work to be a strong campus contributor, working effectively with faculty, staff and administration.
● Work collaboratively with sports information personnel, departmental support staff, and the athletic training and sports medicine personnel.
● Develop, implement and maintain team policies and procedures.
● Plan and administer the Men’s Basketball budget in a responsible manner.
● Be responsible for purchasing all necessary uniforms and equipment.
● Maintain positive professional relationships with game officials.
● Maintain positive professional relationships with colleagues in the Sunshine State Conference and in the league office.
● Develop and engage in outreach activities in the St. Petersburg and Tampa Bay communities.
● Develop, engage and maintain relationships with alumni, parents and friends of the program.
● Assist the Athletic Director in fundraising and the development of the Triton Club.
● Work in conjunction with all Athletics Department personnel in serving the mission of the College to provide excellent, innovative undergraduate liberal arts education and lifelong learning programs in the unique Florida environment.
● Maintain professional memberships in appropriate coaching associations.
● Attend clinics and workshops designed to improve coaching skills.
● Be a team player for the entire Athletics program.
● All other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Position Directly Supervises
● Full-time Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach
● Volunteer Coaching Staff
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills and abilities needed upon entry into the position)
● Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
● Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
● Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university preferred
● College-level coaching and recruiting experience
Applicants should submit a cover letter reflecting their fit with Eckerd College and a resume that includes contact information for at least three references via eckerd.hirecentric.com/jobs. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by January 21, 2019, to receive first consideration. All applications will be handled in confidence. Prospective candidates may direct questions and inquiries to Dr. Kurt Patberg, Senior Vice President of Athletics Staffing and Consultants, at [email protected]