Are you interested in creating an exceptional educational environment for students who are part of a dynamic, inclusive community? If you see yourself as an educator who empowers students of diverse backgrounds to reach their potential, we invite you to apply for this position. At Gavilan College, we welcome your commitment to fostering a learning environment where resources are devoted to developing opportunities for students to break barriers and thrive as scholars and community members.
- This position requires development and review of curriculum, as well as, assessment of student learning.
- The teaching assignment may require teaching lecture-discussion courses during day, evening, or on Saturday and/or in an on-line/distance education format.
- The assignments are based on departmental need on a semester-by-semester basis.
- This position is represented by the Gavilan College Faculty Association.
Gavilan College is committed to recruiting individuals that embody our Principles of Community by:
- actively demonstrating a commitment to embracing and celebrating diversity;
- committing to collaboration, effective communication and the development of strong working relationships;
- promoting purposeful inclusion of all groups and the free exchange of ideas in a respectful, trusting and considerate environment; and
- demonstrating a commitment to an environment where all students achieve their goals and have access to equitable resources and opportunities.
The ideal candidate for this position is an equity-minded individual who understands the importance of creating opportunities in athletics for students who have been historically underserved, particularly in the Latinx community. Gavilan seeks candidates who view the elimination of inequities as an individual and collective responsibility and who strive to reframe inequities as a problem of practice. The ideal candidate demonstrates a commitment to student-centered teaching and coaching practices, effective cross-disciplinary and cross campus collaboration, transparent decision-making, and purposeful service to the community and embraces the role of an educator who is continually learning anti-racist pedagogy and adapting to the needs of a diverse student population.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation for in-class or on-line/distance education activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class and/or on-line, maintenance of currency in the subjects taught.
- Maintain accurate class and other records required by the district.
- Submit, when due, attendance rosters and grade reports.
- Follow course outlines as filed in the instruction offices.
- Maintain office hours each week, as per the collective bargaining agreement.
- Observe, support, and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the members’ area of expertise.
- Maintain an effective classroom environment and workspace.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of everyone.
- Perform other instructional related duties as assigned.