Under direct supervision of the Athletic Director, is responsible for the management and administration of all phases of the men’s basketball program.
Positions Directly Supervised:
1. Assistant Coaches
2. Student Assistant Coaches
3. Student Workers
Duties, Responsibilities, Tasks, & Assignments:
1. Manages team of respective sport to ensure competitive performance of team and satisfactory growth and development of student-athletes.
2. Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions daily or several times weekly during season. Coaches the team during scheduled events. Maintains detailed statistics and records, evaluation reports, etc. for each student-athlete. Determines and implements strategy to obtain maximum team and individual performance.
3. Determines competitive event schedule and team travel arrangements, coordinating with teams both inside and out of the Conference. Schedules officials for home competition. Recommends participation in post-season games when invitations are received.
4. Maintains working knowledge of all applicable NJCAA, Conference, and College rules and regulations, and complies with same. Ensures that students are briefed in writing prior to or on the first day of practice. Determines and implements method of evaluating student comprehension of material.
5. Scouts and recruits prospective student-athletes from high school and club teams. Coordinates all phases of recruiting activities. Works with the Admissions staff to determine prospect’s academic qualifications and suitability for admission, assists the prospect in making application, and recommends grants-in-aid. Supervises all contact with prospective student-athletes to avoid violations of NJCAA and other recruiting rules and regulations.
6. Works with student-athlete, faculty, and Academic Counselor as needed to monitor the scholastic progress of each student-athlete. Encourages each student-athlete to pursue a career goal and to graduate and/or transfer to a four year institution. Ensures that athletes meet requirements established for athletic eligibility.
Develops and implements programs to inform students of all College resources available to help them. Assists in enforcement of mandatory study hall program for Freshmen and Upperclassmen having academic difficulties; enforce Department of Athletic requirements for class attendance, make-up work, etc. Schedules practice/training sessions with due regard for mid-term and final exam schedules.
7. Establishes and ensures communication and enforcement of rules and regulations concerning student conduct, appearance, punctuality, and other areas as appropriate.
8. Consults with the athletic trainers and physicians to determine team and individual welfare and conditioning programs.
9. Provides individual counseling to student-athletes as needed on personal problems, team performance, and transition to college life.
10. Responsible for the maintenance of the budget for men’s basketball program, including the completion of all necessary forms and paperwork for team travel, individual travel, and recruit travel.
11. Responsible for developing and implementing fundraising plan for the program based on goals established by the athletic department.
12. Participates in public relations activities including newspaper, television, and radio interviews and news conferences to promote a positive image of the Athletic Department and the College.
13. Serves on committees or boards as designated/nominated for the NJCAA, Conference, College, or other related organizations.
14. Performs other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Position subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.